Saturday, December 19, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Blog Caroling

  From Randy (my newest cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Identify your absolute favorite Christmas or Holiday Song.

(2)  Share your favorite Christmas carol or Holiday song in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

(3)  For extra credit, post an audio or video of the carol or song (almost all are on YouTube) and the words to the song.  Add the background of the song and the artist(s) if you can find that information.

(4) Enjoy the memories and feelings that the carol or song brings to your heart and mind, and share them too!

Here's mine:

This is actually a hard topic for me.  I'm not a Christmas person.  I do not enjoy the rushing, the shopping, the agonizing over what to give someone, the cold weather, the decorating, none of it.  Seriously.   Now I do get in the spirt sometimes, and I have more this year than most.  But I still wasn't sure about picking a favorite Christmas song.  I tend to change the radio station every time a Christmas song comes on!  

However, I did go to YouTube and found some old favorites to share.  

I think I like songs that poke fun at ourselves or just plain fun songs.  So my favorite is Ray Stevens' "Santa Claus is Watching You."  It makes me smile and sing along.  And the "He's everywhere! He's everywhere!" cracks me up every time.



"Santa Claus is Watching You"
Written by Ray Stevens

Now baby doll, sweetie-pie, sugarplum
Honey-bunch, angel face
You know you better be good
And act like two fine lovers should
Be careful what you say and do
'Cause Santa Claus is watchin' you
He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

You'd better kiss and hold me tight
And give me good lovin' every night
'Cause you'll be sorry if ya make me blue
'Cause Santa Claus is watchin' you
He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

Well you may think you can sneak around
And get away with something but there ain't no way
'Cause Santa's no fool, he's really super cool
He's the secret head of the CIA
Eesh, Iish, crime don't pay
You can't do nothin' 'cause  you're never alone
He's even got a wire tap on your phone!

So baby if you ever do me wrong
Break my heart and leave me alone
When Christmas comes, you'll be crying too
'Cause Santa Claus is watch you
He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

Every Christmas Eve, he climbs on his sled full of toys
With fuel exhaust and side mirrors
The foxtails, the mud flaps, the leopard-skin seat covers
And spreads Christmas cheer to all good little girls and boys

Then he says "On Dsher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid,
Donner and Blitzen, and Bruce and Marvin, Leon,
Cletus and George, and Bill and Slick, and Do-right,
Clyde and Ace, and Blackie and Queenie, 
And Prince and Spot and Rover

So where's Rudolph
He's on a stakeout at your house!
You can run, you can hide, but you can't get away
Got binoculars focused on you everyday

So baby if you ever do me wrong
Break my heart and leave me alone
When Christmas comes, you'll be crying too
'Cause Santa Claus is watching you
He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

Yeah, Santa Claus is watchin' you
He's everywhere Lord have mercy!
Santa Claus has got his eyes all over you baby
It's over for you.  You better watch out woo!
Look out there Santa Claus is peepin' around the corner at you

You're in deep trouble, you know that?
It's over for your kind
You go sneakin' around here, you ain't gonna get away with it  
You understand? 
I mean you got to be true blue - through and through
Or Santa's gonna get you!

"Ray Stevens originally released "Santa Claus is Watching You" about 1962.  His very first music video was for this song, and it was shot in 1985.  

Other favorite Christmas songs (all link to a YouTube video):

* "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" (original version)
* "Leroy the Redneck Reindeer" by Joe Diffie
* "Hard Candy Christmas" by Dolly Parton

This was actually fun, listening to and watching videos for all the Christmas songs.

1 comment: