Saturday, March 20, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2021 (Week 10): Name's the Same

 Amy Johnson Crow from Generations Cafe is again hosting the blog writing prompt this year called 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2021.  I'm going to try to participate more fully this year.  I like that she gives us "permission" to interpret the prompt however we wish and share it however we wish.  It doesn't have to be a blog post; it could be a family video, a letter to a child or grandchild, an e-mail, etc.  

The Theme for Week 10 (Mar 8-14) is Name's the Same.  Yes, I'm a week late with this challenge.

For this topic, I began to wonder how many people in  my family tree of 17,840 people were named Elizabeth, like me.  Elizabeth has consistently been a favorite name for newborn baby girls for at least 100 years.  It makes a good first name and an excellent middle name.  Then there is the long list of nicknames you can make out of Elizabeth:  Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Eliza, Betty, Liza, etc.  So many possibilities.  

So I went to my Family Tree Maker (FTM) 2019 software and pulled up an Individual Report under Publish.  For individuals to include, I chose any that in the Name field had Elizabeth.  I ended up with an 8 page report of 384 women in my family tree with Elizabeth as either a first or middle name.  That is 2.2% of my database!

They range from Elizabeth Julia Adams (1915-1993) who was my 4th cousin through my Swain line to Kaitlyn Elizabeth York (dates unknown) who is my 8th cousin, 2x removed through my Drake Line.

There are 10 women named Elizabeth Bush in my tree:

    Charity Elizabeth (abt 1771-1829)            6th Great Aunt

    Elizabeth (dates unknown)                        3rd Cousin, 4x removed

    Elizabeth (dates unknown)                        7th Great Aunt

    Elizabeth (dates unknown)                       1st Cousin, 6x removed       

    Elizabeth (dates unknown)                       1st Cousin, 7x removed

    Elizabeth (1631/32 - unknown)                10th Great Aunt

    Elizabeth (1796-1851)                              1st Cousin, 5x removed

    Elizabeth (1804-unknown)                       4th Great Aunt

    Elizabeth (1824-1879)                              4th Great Aunt  

    Elizabeth C. (1833-unknown)                  2nd Cousin, 5x removed

    Sarah Elizabeth (1880-1952)                   2nd Cousin, 3x removed

There are some with three middle names:  

    Louisa Elizabeth Jane Carr (1841-1928)                My 2nd Great Uncle's Mother-in-Law

    Rita Jayne Elizabeth Chabot (dates unknown)       Wife of my 3rd Cousin, 1x removed

    Georgia Ann Elizabeth DeVaughn (1850-1892)     5th Cousin, 4 removed

    Ollie Elizabeth Pearl Doss (1908-2005)                 Wife of my 6th Cousin, 1x removed

    Nancy Elizabeth Winfred Drake (1871-1947)        2nd Great Aunt

    Nancy Ann Elizabeth Hatcher (1845-1926)           Wife of cousin of my 2nd great-grandfather's wife 

    Sarah Ann Elizabeth McAfee (1865-1929)            Wife of 1st Cousin, 3x removed

    Elizabeth Ann Jane Pullen (1838-1866)                 2nd Cousin, 3x removed

    Mary Ann Elizabeth Pullen (1840-unknown)        2nd Cousin, 3x removed

    Mary Ann Elizabeth Webb (1856-aft 1920)          Wife of 2nd Cousin, 3x removed 

I also have 12 Elizabeths that their maiden names are unknown.  One of these is my 3rd great-grandmother (1824-aft 1880) who was married to George Washington Tapley.

I actually have 19 Elizabeth Tapleys in my family tree.  That seemed like a little much to list here.

Finally, there is my version, Mary Elizabeth.  There are 28 of us in the family tree!  A very popular combination!

So I hope you can see just how versatile the name Elizabeth can be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment