Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun (on a Tuesday night!) - Pauleen's Crazy Month of May Pandemic Meme, Part I

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday  Tuesday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!



Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Check out Pauleen Cass's blog post, Crazy Month of May 2020: Pandemic Experiences.

(2)  Let's do the first 10 of the prompts and save the last 11 for next week.

(3) Tell us about your own pandemic experience in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook. Be sure to leave a link to your work as a comment to this post and also on Pauleen's post.

Here's mine:

(I completely forgot to write this on Saturday, thus this blog is having its genealogy fun on this Tuesday night!  It'll probably be the same next week since I'll be out of town this weekend!  Enjoy!)

(1)  What are you most grateful for during this Covid-19 crisis?

I have several things I am most grateful for:  My mother stayed healthy.  I stayed healthy.  That I was able to work part-time for two months and still be paid!  Cell phones and Internet so we could all stay in touch during this time.

(2)  What have you missed most during the full or partial lock-down?

Not a whole lot.  I'm a homebody so I have enjoyed this time.  However, I did miss going to my book club at the library.  I missed going out and eating Mexican food occasionally.  Most of all, I  had to miss my mother's annual Mother's Day visit.  

(3)  Has your hobby sustained you during this time?

Definitely!  Working on my genealogy is the vast majority of what I did.  I used my extra time at home to sort my family tree pictures and documents on my computer and in Ancestry.com.  I'm still not quite finished with that project, but I am close!  I also went through many Hints on Ancestry.com.  I tried to touch base with cousins and made contact with several!  I made a few new cousin "friends" on Facebook.  My hobby pretty much consumed my time during the pandemic.  

Alas, I only scrapbooked once.  

 (4)  What changes have you seen in your life over May 2020?

I'm cooking more.  I'm snacking more.  I've gained weight.  My days and nights have gotten mixed up so I'm up late and sleep late.  I'm tired and sleepy all the time.   My stress level is higher, and I'm more depressed.  

(5)  Have you been exercising more or less?

If it's possible, less.  I've been spending large amounts of time in front of my computer.  My only exercise has been housecleaning and walking the dog.

(6)  Has the refrigerator been your friend or foe?

A little of both.  

(7)  Have you been participating in virtual gatherings with friends or family?

No, but a lot of phone calls.... almost daily to my mother, several calls with my aunt in Phoenix, and several calls to various cousins.  I had one friend that we kept trying to get together on Skype but our schedules never aligned.  

(8)  Have you taken up new hobbies during the lockdown?

No new hobbies.  I don't have enough time to keep up with the two I have!

(9)  Are you cooking or gardening more?

Definitely cooking more.  Every time I go to a drive thru, they get my order wrong, so it's really not worth going.  Plus the prices have gone up!  

I did my annual pulling of the weeds and trimming the shrub in my backyard.  I put out weed killer and also my hummingbird feeders.  The HOA planted some shrubs and plants in my front flower bed so I have been diligently watering them when it doesn't rain.  

(10)  Have you shopped more or less?  Online or offline?

Definitely more online shopping than usual.  SEVERAL Amazon orders.  Chewy.com usual order.  At least three Lane Bryant orders (They were having great sales!!).  

I have done my usual once-a-month Walmart run each month.  Visited the grocery store a couple of times in between.  I have been to Dollar Tree, Lowe's, Big Lots, and Costco a couple of times.  Always careful to wear my mask and keep my distance from people.  Especially since a lot of people no longer wear masks.  Once the state started easing restrictions, it seemed that Lowe's and Walmart gave up having customers wear masks and keeping a lower number of people in the store at one time.  Or providing hand sanitizer.  

Questions 11 to 21 next week!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in Liz - it's bee interesting to hear experiences from other places. I'm not sure I should look up your online order sites so I'm not tempted. Disappointing not to see your mum on Mother's Day but better for her and good she's stayed well. As to feeling blah and depressed...that's not good. It's been a difficult time emotionally - not every day for me, but once in a while. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw I've linked your post to the responses I received.

    https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com/2020/06/09/crazy-month-of-may-pandemic-experience-responses/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my sleep hasn't been fabulous either. I have become somewhat obsessed with my fitbit report and need to stop pretending I have any clue of how to change it. I think it is just part of the experience. Thank goodness for dogs or my exercise would be non-existent too. I am off to have a look at chewy.com and Lane Bryant as they are unfamiliar names to us here in Oz.

    ReplyDelete