Sunday, June 21, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Father's Work History

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!



Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1) Sunday, June 21, 2020, is Father's Day.  Let's celebrate by writing a blog post about your father or another significant male ancestor (such as a grandfather).

(2)  What was your father's occupation?  What jobs did he have throughout his life? Do you know his work history?

(3) Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.

Here's mine:

My father, Gilbert Earl Tapley, never graduated from high school.  I believe he only had a 7th grade education.  His father died when Daddy was only 7 years old, so I am sure when he was old 'enough', he had to help support his mother, sister and himself.  

I do not know a whole lot about my father's work history.  He held a lot of different jobs over the years cause he never stayed anywhere very long.  Let's just say he was not a people person and did not take orders well.  I know he farmed when he was young.  Eventually, he became a carpenter.  What I do have is a resume someone typed up for him in the mid-1960's.  According to it:

1954-1955     Carpenter

1956-1962     Ran service station and grocery store, plus his own bulldozer and dump truck business

1963               Truck Driver; operation of dump truck and bulldozer

1963-1964     Mechanic; overhauling tractors

1964              Mechanic; overhauling Chrysler marine engines

(Now I know why he loved machinery and had to own so much of it when I was a child!  I can remember many, many cars, tractors, backhoe, motor home, and boats, just to name a few.)

Edit:  I spoke with my mother today and she was able to add that during World War II, my father worked at the shipyards in Jacksonville, Florida.  Then when his older brother, John Russell, returned from the war, he joined him in carpentry work.  Daddy actually got his official apprenticeship qualification as a journeyman.  He worked with his brother, building houses, until, it appears, the mid-1950's.    

I know that by the time I was born in 1967, he worked for the City of Augusta, Georgia.   He had two heart attacks in quick succession and was advised by his doctor to decrease his stress level (translation:  get a new job) or he would not live very long.  

So when I was 4 years old, we moved to Jacksonville, Florida, where my father went back into construction.  But it was short-lived.  He quit and became a stay-at-home father until I was 18 years old and went off to college.  

He then worked for the Emanuel County (Georgia) Sheriff's office, part-time, for a few years, transporting prisoners.  Once my parents moved back to Augusta in about 1998, he didn't work again.

1 comment:

  1. When a family lost a parent, especially the father, I think it was very much the norm for children to get some kind of paying work to help out the family. School was pushed to the side because the benefits of an education didn't put immediate food on the table, did it? Life would be difficult, but your dad's love of machinery and skills using it provided years of work,which he probably really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete