Sunday, July 3, 2022

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Genealogy Activity Have You Spent Time On?

 From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Quoting Randy: "I am completely out of ideas for the this week - and am late in posting.  What genealogy activity have you spent time on this week?"

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, in a post on Facebook, or on Twitter.  

Here's mine:

I have been continuing to add Ozmuns from Find A Grave to my family tree.  They seem to be going on forever.  Now that we're in July, this is my third month of doing this!  

I did find an interesting fact today... A man named Hale VanderCook, who was married to my 3rd cousin, founded the VanderCook Cornet School (now the VanderCook College of Music) in Chicago in 1909.  You can read about the history of the school here. The school is still going strong today -  113 years later!

I have also been correcting some source citations in Family Tree Maker.  Specifically the ones for Newspapers.com.  When Ancestry adds those citations, they do a separate citation for every single item you've saved from The Atlanta Constitution, for example.  I'm trying to combine them so all the citations for a particular newspaper are under one source title... if that makes sense.   

The only other things I have done this week is check out obits and hints that have come into my email.  Ancestry.com sent out hints from the 1950 census so I checked those out which led to looking at a whole lot of other hints.  Also, I have Google searches for certain key words (surnames).  So lots of time, an obituary containing that surname will drop into my inbox, and I'll research to find out if I am related to the person.  I find some interesting connections that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment