Saturday, January 9, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Do You Take After Your Parents and/or Grandparents?

 From Randy (my newest cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  What do you take after or favor from your parents and/or grandparents? It could be looks, traits, mannerisms, speech, etc.

(2) Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Psssst.... I suggested this topic to Randy.  Oh the pressure!

Here's mine:

(1)  Well, let's just start with my mother.  We look just alike.  She has actually had folks come up to her in the grocery store and ask her if she was my mother!  
         My mother as a baby.                                                                       Me as a baby.

I got her nose.  I also got her hair: thick, blonde as a baby and mousy brown as an adult with lots of gray mixed in as we got older.  

My being overweight is a trait shared with 3 generations of my mom's family before me.  Also is suffering from depression.

I am soft-hearted like her.  My kind, nice, sweet side definitely comes from her.  (Remember, I'm a Gemini so I have two sides!)

My hands look just hers.  I got my eye color from her.  I'm clumsy like her.  I have started choking for no reason just like her!  I got my independent streak from her.  I also think I got my sense of humor from her.  I also got her willingness to work hard.

I got my love of reading from my mom.  Also, a love of traveling and seeing new places.  Best of all, I got my love of animals from my mother. 

(2) Now, let's take a look at my dad.

 

I got that Tapley high forehead from him.  And perhaps the shape of my eyes.  You can't tell from these pictures, but I got my height from him.  He used to say that I reminded him of his mother, Nealie Drake Tapley, in the way I walked.  

I got my mean side from him.  My temper.  The anger and paranoia I got from him.  My tendency to be loud (which everyone thinks is me yelling)... that's from him.  Unfortunately, I also inherited his habit of being really hard on people and expecting a lot from them, and judging them when they didn't meet his standards.  

I start a project, get sidetracked to another project, and then get bored with the second project, so I jump to a third project.  Meanwhile nothing gets finished.  That I definitely got from him.  

There's a certain mannerism - the way he would hold his hand to his chin and run his finger back and forth over his mouth when he was doing some deep thinking - that I have caught myself doing.  

I got my love of story telling from my dad.  I use clichés like he did.  Very southern clichés.  "One thing always leads to something else." "White on rice" "burn the candle at both ends" "That takes the cake" "Who's skinning this cat?" "Katie barred the door" "Talk till you're blue in the face" "still waters run deep" "Wash one's hands of" something.   

(3)  My maternal grandparents:


From Pop Pop, I think I got his love of genealogy and perhaps his love of photography.  

(4)  My paternal grandparents:


I never knew my paternal grandfather and my Grandma Nealie died when I was 3.  So I really don't know what all I might have gotten from them.  

I know my height came from Grandma Nealie through my father to me.  Papa Lusion Tapley was very tall himself.  

Grandma was a strong woman who worked very, very hard.  I like think I got some of that from her.  

We are a product of our ancestors in many, many ways.  I'm OK with that... and proud.

2 comments: