Sunday, May 1, 2022

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun (on a Sunday afternoon!) - What Keeps You From Doing Genealogy?

 From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  What keeps you from doing genealogy? What real life activity/ies do you have to do, or like to do, that takes time away from genealogy research?

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, in a post on Facebook, or on Twitter.  

Here's mine:

And the #1 answer is... WORK.  A JOB. EMPLOYMENT OUTSIDE MY HOUSE.  This takes me away from home for 10 hours a day.  That's a huge junk out of my genealogy time.  I can't seem to find a way around this.  Without the job, the cats and I don't eat.  

#2 is the exhaustion I experience every evening from the #1 answer above.  I fall asleep on the couch almost every day after work.  Dealing with the public - just people in general - wears me out.  When I try to sit down at my computer and do some genealogy research, I am nodding off every couple of minutes.  This seriously cuts into my genealogy time.

#3 is the cats.  Feeding them.  Cleaning up after them.  Shopping for them.  Loving on them.  All of this takes a lot of time.  However, I wouldn't trade this one for anything in the world - not even genealogy!  

#4 is chores.  Grocery shopping. Cooking and cleaning up afterwards.  Scooping litter boxes.  Taking out the trash and/or recycling. Laundry.  Changing sheets.  Mopping, vacuuming, cleaning toilets, etc.  It goes on and on and on.  And about the time you finish a chore, it's time to do it again.  This really cuts into my genealogy time... though I do sneak in some genealogy with lots and lots of "breaks" during cleaning on the weekends.  

And #5 is SLEEP.  Along with #2 above, I do have to sleep at night in order to go to the job the next morning.  However, I put it off as long as I can.  After that nap on the couch every evening, I am raring to go, and I am doing genealogy research as fast and furiously as I can.  I don't make it to bed until midnight a lot of nights.  Sometimes even later.  The I have to drag out of bed at 6am the next day and do it all over again.  

Honorable mentions:  Eating.  Watching true crime TV.  Facebook.  Stupid games on my phone.  Watching even stupider videos on my phone. All time wasters when I could be doing genealogy!

(The reason this Saturday night fun blog post wasn't done until Sunday was actually doing genealogy research and needing sleep!) 

1 comment:

  1. I understand where you're coming from. I'm semi retired now, but work still takes up too much time.

    ReplyDelete