Saturday, June 18, 2022

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Grandmother Memories

  From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  


(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, in a post on Facebook, or on Twitter.  

Here's mine:

Unfortunately, I was very  young when I lost both of my grandmothers.

I was just 3 years old when my paternal grandmother, Nealie Drake Tapley (1895-1970) passed away.  I only remember seeing her once.  She lived in a high rise apartment building in Augusta, and my mom took me to see her.  All I remember is her giving me a cookie, and being very tall and intimidating.  

My maternal grandmother, Ethel Ranney Tapley (1913-1973) passed away when I was 6 years old.  She and Pop Pop lived in Swainsboro, and I know that we went to visit them fairly often.  Honestly, I don't really remember her.  I have tons of pictures so I know things happened and we shared occasions, but I don't have a memory of them at all.  I only have two actual memories that include Grandma.  The first is my mom telling me that Pop Pop had passed away, and we needed to go to Swainsboro. (We lived in Jacksonville, Florida then.)  Then I remember vividly when we went to pick  up Grandma and her passing away in my father's arms right there in the parking lot.  (I wrote about this in a previous blog post.  If interested, you can read it here:  Sympathy Saturday: Charles Morgan Tapley and Ethel Ranney Tapley.  

So I really missed out on a couple of special relationships. I hope to see them again one day, and they will tell me all about their lives.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad that you never had a chance to know either of your grandmothers very well. I was lucky to have both of mine for many years, but I only knew one grandfather. The other died of TB in 1936 when my dad was only 10.

    ReplyDelete