Saturday, November 5, 2022

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - "Friendly Fill-Ins" for Thanksgiving

 From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

A)  This is a fun meme from 2016, thanks to Suzanne McClendon on the P.S. Annie blog for the links.

B)  Fill in the blanks for these four statements:

    (1) One Thanksgiving tradition I have is __________________________.
    (2) Black Friday ___________________________________________.
    (3) The best part about Thanksgiving Day is _______________________.
    (4) One Thanksgiving, _________________________________________.

C)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook post.

Here's mine:

(1) One Thanksgiving tradition I have is to make my Savory Turkey Casserole out of leftover turkey.  Even if I didn't have turkey for Thanksgiving, I'll get some from a friend and make my casserole.  (Funny, I have never tried to make this casserole with chicken.  Just turkey and just after Thanksgiving.)  Here's the recipe for inquiring minds:


(2) Black Friday:  just NO.  I hate the crowds, the bait and switch the stores use, and even the name.  I usually stay home and do lots of genealogy or scrapbooking.

I do have one fun memory of this day.  My ex-husband and I were in Augusta, spending Thanksgiving with my parents.  He got up really early that Friday after Thanksgiving and went shopping.  And he ended up on TV!  The local news station was filming and even asked him some questions!  Then he swore he would never do that again!

(3)  The best part about Thanksgiving Day is the FOOD and the NAP afterwards!  I also like to be thankful for both.  

(4)  One Thanksgiving, when I was young, my parents and I went to Florida and had Thanksgiving dinner with my Uncle Hugh, his son - my cousin, Ronnie - and Ronnie's wife, Toula.  I remember that Toula's mother was there, and the two of them cooked.  They are Greek, and the food was wonderful.  Mom and I still miss Toula's cooking to this day!  

Toula and Ronnie at our home in Swainsboro
for another Thanksgiving. circa 1981

Seriously, those are always the best Thanksgivings - the ones that you have family and/or friends there to share it with you.  

Another Thanksgiving, my ex-husband and I hosted a "Friends Thanksgiving." We had about 3 or 4 couples over, and it was so enjoyable.  

Thanksgivings are very different now.  The only tradition I miss is my ex-husband's fried turkey.  YUM.  

Before the pandemic, Mom would come to North Carolina for Thanksgiving.  Since the pandemic, we don't spend Thanksgiving together.  It's OK.  We Zoom and eat together.  We save up the fun until our Christmas visit.  Which this year is going to be in January!  

Whatever works, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment