Wednesday, February 12, 2020

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (Week 6): Same Name

Amy Johnson Crow from Generations Cafe is hosting a blog writing prompt this year called 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.  Since I need a swift kick in the you-know-what to get me blogging more regularly again, I thought I'd jump in.  I like that she gives us "permission" to interpret the prompt however we wish and share it however we wish.  It doesn't have to be a blog post; it could be a family video, a letter to a child or grandchild, an e-mail, etc.  I'm actually jumping back a week to address the prompt "Same Name."  

There are six Hosea Tapleys in my family tree.  They have been mixed up (tangled) several times over several family trees, and I am not positive that I have all the details correct for every one.

The first Hosea (that I am aware of) was born January 4, 1691 in England.  He was my 6th/7th great-grandfather.  He was married to Sarah Moore.  He died March 21*, 1778 in Caswell County, North Carolina.

His eldest son, Hosea Tapley, Jr., was born between 1708-1710 in Gloucester County, Virginia.  He was my 6th/7th great-uncle.  He was married to Sarah Green.  He died March 21*, 1770 in Orange County, North Carolina.

His eldest son, Hosea Tapley III, was born about 1730 in Brunswick County, Virginia.  He was my 1st cousin, 6x/7x removed.  He married Lucy Prior in 1765.  He died March 21*, 1779 in Caswell, Pender County, North Carolina.  I have his cause of death listed as "Killed by Indians."

* I already see a problem.  All three men died on March 21?  Possible maybe, but not likely.  Back to the research screen!

His son, Hosea Green Tapley was born in 1767 in Caswell County, North Carolina.  He is my 2nd cousin, 5x/6x removed.  He was married to Eleanor Rogers McFarland on August 29, 1795 in Caswell County, North Carolina (or June 15, 1795 in Person County, North Carolina).  He died September 3, 1799 in North Carolina.  I also have his cause of death as "Killed by Indians."

Finally, his son, Hosea Tapley, birth and death dates unknown, was my 3rd cousins, 4x/5x removed.  He married Rebecca McFalling.  I do not have any information about their children.  Perhaps one of them was named Hosea.

Otherwise, the name stopped there.

No comments:

Post a Comment