Saturday, February 22, 2020

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (Week 7): Favorite Discovery

Amy Johnson Crow from Generations Cafe is hosting a blog writing prompt this year called 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.  Since I need a swift kick in the you-know-what to get me blogging more regularly again, I thought I'd jump in.  I like that she gives us "permission" to interpret the prompt however we wish and share it however we wish.  It doesn't have to be a blog post; it could be a family video, a letter to a child or grandchild, an e-mail, etc.  I'm probably going to be always behind on this exercise so don't go by the date and week I'm writing about and take it as accurate.   

When I first started thinking about writing this post, my mind went to things - mementos, heirlooms, etc. - first.  That's what I've written about before... my grandmother's jewelry box or great-grandmother's china head doll or photos.  However, this very evening when I started preparing to write, I had another thought.

Among those who know me pretty well, it is a known fact that I don't care for/like many people.  I tend to stay to myself and avoid the world as much as I possibly can.  That's probably why I like (mostly) solitary hobbies... genealogy and scrapbooking.  The ironic thing is that this solitary hobby of genealogy research and blogging brought me my favorite discoveries.  Cousins.

It all began in probably 2010 or 2011. I did not work outside the home at the time, so I had a lot more time to research and write my blog.  I was writing a blog post almost every day.  Then suddenly, a man contacted me and told me we were cousins.  My blog was reaching people I did not know, and they were making connections based on the information I shared. 

That man was Keith Tapley, and he was right.  We are 2nd cousins, 1x removed.  My paternal grandfather, Lusion Tapley, and Keith's paternal great-grandfather, Franklin Morgan Tapley were brothers.  At that point, Keith did not know the Tapleys.  I helped him a little bit with that, but Keith took off like gangbusters.  He will call, meet, crash a family reunion, or even a funeral, to meet a Tapley relative!  He bombards me with information, and I'm glad to receive all of it.  Even if it does take me months or years to piece it all together! 

Knowing me, I would have faded to the background again and just interacted with the dead people I found, but Keith wouldn't let me do that, and thanks to him, I have met several other cousins.  He's even given me the courage?? patience?? to do some of that interacting myself.  Though honestly, if I do find a new cousin on my own, 9 times out of 10, Keith has met them long before! 

Keith is a favorite discovery.  I visit with him every time I go to Augusta.  We visit cemeteries, cousins, plots of land... anything that has meaning to us and the Tapley family.

Then I met Jimmy Wheeler.  Of course, he and Keith had met first.  And Jimmy will tell you that he tried to contact me several times, and I ignored him.  LOL.  All I'm going to say about that is yes,  once I moved to North Carolina and got a full time job, it takes me a lot longer to answer emails, messages on my blog, messages on Ancestry, messages on FindAGrave, etc.

Anyway, Jimmy is my 2nd cousin, 1x removed.  His great-grandfather is also Franklin Morgan Tapley, brother of my grandfather.  However, while Keith is descended from Uncle Frank's third child, Homer Frank Tapley, Jimmy is descended from Homer Frank's sister, Sallie Tapley Wheeler Geter. 

I also try to visit with Jimmy anytime I'm in Augusta.  It's usually Keith, Jimmy, my mom, and me going out to eat Mexican every trip.  Though Jimmy is the busiest retired person I've ever met (besides my mother!), he does his best to catch up with us and go on adventures.  He is very generous with his information, and that is refreshing. Jimmy is another favorite discovery.

December 26, 2019
Augusta, Georgia
Touring cemeteries and historical places
Jimmy Wheeler, Liz, Linda Tapley, Keith Tapley

There are several more favorite cousin discoveries (not in any particular order):

Drina Hanson Berkey - my 1st cousin who grew up in California while I grew up in Georgia and thus we have never met.  (Our mothers are sisters.) However, we found each other a couple of years ago and do our best to keep in touch via Facebook and text.  She is the very sweetest person, and I am so thankful and glad we connected. 

Loraine Minton - a fiery, red-head Drake cousin that lives in my hometown of Swainsboro.  We just met last year, and we hit it off like gangbusters!  So much so that Keith is jealous!  LOL.  Loraine loves to visit a cemetery just like I do, and on my last visit, she toured me around to about 3 big ones!  Loved every minute of our day!

Paula Young Smith-Bryan is a hoot!  We try to get together when I'm in Georgia as much as possible.  Along with her sweet mother, Ellen, who loves nothing more than to talk to my mother. 

All cousins
September 2, 2019, Swainsboro, Georgia
L to R:  Paula Young Smith-Bryan, her mother, Ellen Tapley Young, Liz,
Jimmy Wheeler, Loraine Frederick Minton, my mom, Linda Tapley, and Keith Tapley

Donna Reese Kirkland - We haven't even met face-to-face yet, but I love her!  She is my 3rd cousin, 1x removed through my paternal Harrell and Odom lines.

George Hollingsworth and Sharon Davis Marsden - Since they live out in Arizona, we haven't been able to meet in person yet either.  But they are the best and keep in touch consistently.  George shared a ton of Mathis/Page information with me.  I'm so grateful!

Sheri Begera - Sheri's mom, Mary Ann, and I are Tapley first cousins!  Our fathers were brothers.  Sheri and I have begun a Facebook friendship that is priceless to me.  One day I will make it to Florida!

Jim Tapley lives in Kansas and we just found each other a few months ago.  I knew his father, but had never chatted with Jim.  I find just through his Facebook posts and our chats that he and I seem to be on the same wavelength on a lot of things.  Maybe it's a family connection??? His great-grandfather, Bascom Tapley, was my grandfather, Lusion's baby brother. 

There are certainly more that I have not named here.  Most are just Facebook friends at this point.  Life gets busy, and it's hard to keep in touch with everyone.  But hopefully, I'll continue to add favorite discoveries as I continue doing what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment