Saturday, July 4, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Pauleen's Crazy Month of May Pandemic Meme, Part II

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!



(This is a continuation of my June 9th post.  Since I don't have any 4th of July memories to share, I decided to finally finish these prompts.)

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Check out Pauleen Cass's blog post, Crazy Month of May 2020: Pandemic Experiences.

(2)  Let's do the last 11 of the prompts.

(3) Tell us about your own pandemic experience in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook. Be sure to leave a link to your work as a comment to this post and also on Pauleen's post.

Here's mine:

(11) What have you found to be strangest change to your life?

I find the strangest part for me is changing my entire personal reaction style with people.  I am a hugger.  Can't do that anymore.  If I'm out walking my dog without a mask and a neighbor comes up to me... I should have remembered to have a mask with me.  Also, I tend to smile at people I encounter along the way, and I'm having a hard time remembering they cannot see my facial expression!

(12) Have you found the changes and experience stressful/anxious/worrying?

What is stressful and worrying to me is the possibility of my catching the virus through someone else's selfishness in not wearing a mask.  Or touching the wrong thing.  I live alone and have no family closer than 2 states away.  If I get sick, there is no one for me to call on to help me. I worry about my mom catching it... I certainly couldn't have her come up to take care of me.  My BFF is high risk... I have the same worry there.  

(13) How have the closures affected your local community?

Prices are higher for both gas and food.  Several business are still not open and those that are have to slash their occupancy levels. I know that is very hard on small business and the unemployed.  However, I do not agree with opening up the city/county/state/country so soon.  No amount of money is worth a life or a loved one's life.  

(14)  Have in-person meetings been replaced with virtual meetings via Zoom, Skype, etc.?

I have personally not used Zoom or Skype during this pandemic.  I talk on the phone to family and friends.  Or text.  I just found out that my book club is going to start back on July 13 using Zoom.  I have avoided downloading and using it so far, but it looks like it's in my near future, like it or not. 

(15) Do you enjoy the virtual meeting format?

No, which is why I have avoided using it thus far.

(16) Are you working from home instead of in your usual place of work?

Unfortunately not.  Our Clerk of Court ordered us all to return to full time status on June 1st.  I personally believe that was way too soon and continues to be.  We are not 6 feet apart from our co-workers, and I do not know who those co-workers are around after work and on weekends.  Even though a mask is required to enter the courthouse, some seem to have worked their way down to beneath the chin by the time they reach our end of the hall.  They finally put plexiglass in front of us, but the people try to look around it or stand where there is a gap in order to converse with us.  

(17) Have your habits changed over the past month(s)?

My sleeping habits are way out of whack.  I do not shop as much.  I added a TV service so now I'm watching way too much TV, in my opinion.  I have been out to eat a couple of times, but not nearly as often as I used to.  

(18) Have you had to cancel travel plans for pleasure or family?

My mother was unable to make her annual Mother's Day visit.  I did go to Atlanta for my birthday in June, but I stayed with my friends who don't go out much either and we were really careful.  Only time will tell how this will affect my annual trip to Georgia in September.

(19) Do you think you'll be able to travel in 2020?

As I said, I hope to make a trip to Augusta in September.  I usually go at Christmas also.  It's all up in the air at this point.

(20) Have you/others been wearing masks when out and about in your area?

I always wear a mask when I go grocery shopping, to work, or a medical appointment.  Other people were not too good about it until the governor of North Carolina made it mandatory again last weekend.  Now I see everyone out shopping is wearing one which is a good feeling.  

(21) Will you change your lifestyle after this experience?

I'm sure I will.  Less eating out and shopping.  I believe mask wearing will be around for a long while.  (They have become a fashion statement, and now I spend a good deal of money on different ones!  LOL)

Side note:  I have been fortunate thus far to have someone close to me who cut my hair and groomed my dog.  Now that has ended so I will have to venture out to my hair stylist in short order.  I have had a couple of pedicures, but the salon did everything to make me feel safe.  This biggest thing I miss at this point?  My tattoo parlor!  I know, it's crazy, but I get a tattoo every year for my birthday, and I was unable to this year.  I really missed that tradition.  

1 comment:

  1. I 'm with you, Liz. Out walking, I'm still smiling at people under the mask, but feeling silly as they can't see. So now I'm waving at most I go by - some are perfect strangers, but who cares! :-)

    About the Zoom thing. Do try it. I've been enjoying the various sessions, lots of free genealogy going on, also my book group and others. It's different, of course, but it feels good to 'see' people and talk a bit. If it's not too serious a meeting, maybe make up a "HUG" sign to wave at the camera? Might get someone laughing and that's such a good thing nowadays. Take care. And, as we say up hete in BC, 'be kind, be calm, and be safe'.

    ReplyDelete