Saturday, July 25, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Major News Events During Your Life

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  What are the major news events that happened during your life that you remember where you were when you heard about them?

(2)  Tell us in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

- The day Elvis (Presley) died.  August 16, 1977.  I was 10 years old and my parents and I were on our way home from Six Flags over Georgia when the news came on the radio.  Even at that young age, I knew this was BIG.  I do not remember that my mother cried, but I do know a LOT of women in the world cried that day.

- October 3, 1995.  The day O.J. Simpson was acquitted on two counts of murder.  I was at work at Associated Paper in Conyers, Georgia, and co-workers had the TV on in the break room.  I felt then and still feel now that he got away with those murders.  

- The death of Princess Diana.  Her death on August 31, 1997 occurred over Labor Day weekend.  My ex-husband and I were at St. Simons Island, Georgia for the holiday.  We awoke on September 1 and heard the horrible news.  I just could not believe it was true.  She was truly the people's princess.  

- The search for John F Kennedy Jr and his wife on July 17, 1999 after their plane disappeared the night before.  I was at home and watched TV all day while they searched for them.  He was basically American royalty, and it still affects me deeply whenever another tragedy befalls this family.

- September 11, 2001.  9/11.  I owned my scrapbook store in Conyers then, and I had gone over to a coworker's house before the store opened to help her with some organizing.  Her husband called about 9 and told her to turn the TV on.  I went to the store and opened it, but not a single person came in all day.  I was glued to the radio.  I called my mother.  It was scary because one plane after another went down, and we did not know where it was going to happen next.  I also remember the absolute silence in the skies with all air traffic grounded.  To this day, I cannot watch anything about that horrible day without crying.

- Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans on August 29, 2005.  I spent hours on my computer following the many, many stories coming out the areas hit.  Stories of destruction, death, survival, saving pets, terror, etc. for weeks.  

And finally...

- June 26, 2015.  The United States Supreme Court rules that the U.S. Constitution grants same-sex couples the right to marry.  I was at work that day... at the courthouse where I have always been supported for who I am.  It was a watershed moment.  No more being unable to simply enjoy the same right as most of the other humans on the planet.  Many of my friends got married immediately.  Almost one year later, I exercised my right to marry my wife.  

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your list - it was much more unique, particularly the mention of OJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the only other person (so far) I've seen who mentioned Elvis - perhaps because we're close in age (I was almost 12)...and as for 2015 - an important day indeed! So glad you and your wife were able to marry.

    ReplyDelete