Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Did You do on Your Summer Vacation?

From Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings:

Hey genea-philes, it's SATURDAY NIGHT -- time for more GENEALOGY FUN!!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Tell us what you did, genealogy-wise, on your summer vacation.

2) Write your own blog post, comment on this post, or comment in a Facebook status post or a Google Plus stream post.

My summer started in May... with attending the NGS Conference in Charleston, South Carolina. That was so much fun. I learned so much that my head was spinning. When I returned home, my to do list was a mile long! In addition, little did I know, but that conference actually would entirely change my life.

In June, a friend and I drove to south Georgia and attended an all day seminar by Megan Smolenyak hosted by the Huxford Genealogical Society of Homerville. That was so interesting!

Also in June, I met a couple of new cousins. I found the first cousin ever on my my Drake side. She is my 2nd cousin. She lived only a little over an hour from me, so I went over, met her and her family... and attended her in-laws' family reunion! Barbara is so sweet and her family was so kind and fun.

Keith is my 2nd cousin, 1x removed on the Tapley side. He only lived a couple of hours from me, so Mom and I met him for lunch. It was great. We hit it right off. He is so thirsty for information about the Tapleys. It is great to share that with him.

I also met another cousinby telephone. Stayed tuned for this story because it was definitely serendipity... especially for Keith!

In July, I attended a Lunch 'n Learn talk about Old Handwriting at the Georgia Archives. Great handouts!

In between the above, I attended several webinars on great topics, participated in genealogy meetings and events in Second Life, and tried to write a blog post every day.

Then by August, my genealogy went on the back burner for huge changes in my personal life. Once I was (sort of) settled again - in September - I attended the FGS Conference in Springfield, Illinois. More great information and to do lists to follow up on.

Believe me, it was a hectic, chaotic, wonderful, full-of-learning-experiences summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment