Saturday, December 31, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 51 & 52

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:


The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.

Kenneth's wife is also named Alice; her maiden name is unknown.

Sunday, December 24:  "We went to L.A., ate dinner at Hazels.  We went to Redlands to take Alice.  Got in a terrible fog comming home.  Mrs. Williams gave me a fern."

Monday, December 25, Christmas:  "Mama & Dad ate at Hessers.  Hazel & I ate at his folks.  Hazel left for L.A. about 3.  I went to Hessers."

 Tuesday, December 26:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  Mama & I had a big washing.  We tried to clean house.  Went to Yucaipa in the evening."

Wednesday, December 27:  "We did a big ironing.  I read all afternoon.  Dad plowed."

Thursday, December 28:  "Mama & I went to town.  Had dinner at Livingoods.  Took Mrs. Harmon to town.  Got our interest.  Went to Hesser's but they weren't home."

Friday, December 29:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  I walked to Shultzs & mailed Hazel & Alice a letter.  Mama made me a print dress."

Saturday, December 30:  "Dad worked again, until noon as it rained.  Dad & I went to Yucaipa.  Read all evening."

Sunday, December 31:  "It is still raining.  Mr. Cooper called.  Kinghams came up & re-rented the house.  Read most of the day."

This concludes my grandmother's 1933 diary.  Thank you for sticking with me as I recorded her thoughts over that year of her life.  She did make entries in 1934, but only sporadically after the first couple of months of the year.  I will continue to share her writings during 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment