Saturday, March 20, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your High School Years

 From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  This week we travel down Memory Lane again.  Tell us about your high school years with answers to ten questions.

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

(1)  What was your high school's full name, where was it, and what year did  you graduate?
        
        Swainsboro High School, Swainsboro, Georgia (it was on W Church Street then; it has since moved across town to South Main Street), 1985





(2)  What were the school team nickname, and what are/were your school's colors?

        We were the Swainsboro Tigers.  Our colors were Black and Gold.  

(3)  What was the name of your school song, and can you still sing it?

        I don't recall that we had a school song.  We had a class song when we graduated, as I wrote about just last week here.

(4)  Did you have a car?  How did you get to and from school?

        I rode the school bus until my junior year.  Daddy bought me a car when I was 16, and I drove it, unless I got into trouble for something, and then it was back to the school bus!

(5)  Did you date someone from your high school? Or marry someone from your high school?  Were you considered a flirt?

        My father did not let me date until I was 18, so I only went on only two dates in high school.  Not being allowed to date pretty much put off any boys from asking me out.  In addition, I wore glasses and didn't wear designer clothes, so that put them off also.  I moved away right after high school, thus did not marry anyone I knew there.  I was not considered a flirt at school, but I was at my after school job. 

(6)   What social group were you in?

        I was definitely not in the popular group, but my friends and I made our own group.  It was made up of girls who didn't fit in with the popular group for whatever reason:  looks, clothes, parents' careers, etc.  Our school was definitely cliquish.  I was a smart kid - I was in the so-not-politically correct class called "Gifted."  Most everyone in that class was from the popular group.  They didn't mind working with me on school projects, but drew the line at friendship.  

(7)  Who were your favorite teachers?

        Mrs. Barbara Stokes was our gifted teacher.  She always pushed me out of my comfort zone and got me to do more; that has been good for me in my lifetime.  Mrs. Bennett and Mrs. Jersey were my FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) advisors.  I definitely loved them.  

(8)  What did you do on Friday nights?

        Sat at home and watched TV with my parents like every other night.  

(9)  Did you go to and have fun at the Senior Prom?

        Like I said, I went on exactly two dates in high school:  my Junior and Senior Proms.  I remember I wore a borrowed dress to my junior prom, and went with a guy I liked named David.  I don't remember anything else.  For my senior prom, my dress was blue with white lace over it, and I think I bought it.  I went with a guy I worked with at the building supply.  He did it as a favor to me.  I do remember that I drank a tiny bit that night and ended up having a great time.  I'm sure my curfew was so early that we didn't have time to get into any trouble.

(10) Have you been to reunions, and are you planning on going to the next reunion?

        I went to one reunion - I think it was the 10th - and it was continuing drama like the years had not even passed.  Most of our class seems to have moved away, or at least the ones who would actually plan a reunion, so I am not sure we've even had another one.  I guess our next one would be the 50th in 2035.  If the stars aligned, I might go to that one.  Most of the people that held me at arm's length in high school have become Facebook friends, so I'd be interested in seeing the dynamic of being in person with them.  I was one of the ones who moved away, plus I came out, so even my closest friends from high school and I are no longer in touch.  

I really do not remember loving high school.  It was tense at school and it was tense at home.  I was just counting the days until I could move out and away.  

Go ahead!  If I can walk down this Lane and put my true confessions out there, so can you!

Enjoy the memories!  Or not... but please do share!


1 comment:

  1. We all have a love of learning in common and look where it has led us! Genealogists United!

    ReplyDelete