Saturday, October 3, 2026

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Were You Doing in 2001?

  From Randy (my cousin) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night - 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Do  you recall what you were doing in 2001? Family, school, work, hobbies, technology, genealogy, vacations, etc.?

2) Please share your memories of 2001 events as a comment, on social media or in your own blog post!

Here's mine:

This is where I know my memory is not what it used to be.  It's going to be a stretch because I have few pictures on my computer from that year (I was still using a film camera then!); I do not have a diary or Christmas letters to refer to; and my scrapbooks from that year are in my storage unit so I couldn't refer to them either.  So I'm going to have to rely on my memory.  I may be in trouble here.

I did find pictures of from January 28, 2001 when I attended my friend, Donna's, baby shower.  She was expecting her first child, which turned out to be a boy, Cooper.  He's all grown up and married now. 


It gets fuzzy after that.  

In 2001, I was living in Oxford, Newton County, Georgia, right between Conyers and Covington.  We were located about 30 miles outside of Atlanta.  I was married then and so I cared for our home and the cats because my husband had a long commute and he also traveled a lot for his job. 

I do know I owned my retail scrapbook store, Say Cheese, then.  So I worked a lot, scrapped a lot, taught a lot of scrapbooking classes, and stressed about overhead constantly. 

I don't remember doing genealogy at this time.  It's funny - I seem to be able to do one or the other of my hobbies (genealogy or scrapbooking) at a time.  I can't ever seem to be able to engage in both at once (and no, I don't mean at the actual same moment in time. I mean in the same window of time that I am enjoying the other hobby, whether that be weeks, months, or years.)  I am still that way.  

I probably visited Augusta often because my parents lived here, as well as the main store of Say Cheese was located here.  It was about an hour and 45 minutes away.

Of course, almost the only thing I do remember clearly is September 11th.  I had been at my employee and friend's (Jo Ann) house early that morning to help her with some organizing. Her husband called about 9 to tell us to turn on the TV.  After we saw what happened, I went to the store and opened.  It was so quiet that day.  No planes flying overhead. No customers. Employees didn't work. I was alone all day. I got a TV from somewhere so I could watch the coverage.  It was sombering. I remember that I of course called my mother and checked in with her. Otherwise, I just watched the news all day.  It was very scary, confusing, sad, and overwhelming. I still have the same feelings every year on September 11 when I watch all the news and hear all the stories from that day.

Later that week, we held a candlelight memorial, so to speak.  My customers pitched in and helped.  It was important to me to recognize the tragedy and those who lost their lives, and stand with others also trying to make sense of what had happened.  

We did things with my husband's family (We ate out at the local Mexican restaurant a lot!  Our favorite.), and I had made several new friends through the store and would hang out with them also.  Unfortunately without looking at my scrapbooks, I cannot recall any specific events.  

Thank you, Randy, for the walk down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment