Friday, July 8, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 26

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.


 Sun., July 2:  "I picked cherries at Symmes.  We ate dinner at Sweeters'.  I saw H. after work.  In the eve. we had a watermellon."

Mon., July 3:  "We washed.  Canned more cherries.  In the afternoon Alice & I went to Yucaipa.  Took Clara some quilt blocks.  Saw Eva.  Scrubbed Wests' House.  Visited Hesser's, they gave me 2 dresses."

Tues., July 4:  "I picked cherries.  In the eve. I went down to H. & Delmas'.  H. & I walked to Yucaipa.  I stayed all night at H.  I picked 325 lbs. of cherries."

Wed., July 5:  "Mama, Alice & I went to Berdo.  Ate dinner at Laura's.  Mama bought me some material.  In the eve. Clara, H. & I went to the show.  Hessers' were over for supper."

Thurs., July 6:  "My birthday.  H. was over a min. before work.  We made ice cream in the eve.  Coopers were over for a little while.  Mama gave me material for a dress."

Fri., July 7:  "I picked cherries till noon  at Shultz's.  The car went dead at noon.  Had Clint come over & fix it.  I went to town with H. in the afternoon."

Sat., July 8:  "We went to Berdo. in the morn.  I bought & iron.  Mr. & Mrs. West were over for dinner.  I went to town with H. in the afternoon.  Saw Lucile.  H. & I went with Clara & Barney to Berdo. to the show in the eve."

Note:  I find it interesting that they did not seem to celebrate Independence Day at all. 

1 comment:

  1. I was going to comment as well that there was no mention of Independence Day. Gorgeous lady. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete