Friday, July 15, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 27

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.



Sun., July 9:  "Herman came last night.  We visited Wests' in the afternoon had ice cream.  H. & I went to ball game.  H. & I went to Trowbridges & had more ice cream.  Herman stayed all night."


Mon., July 10: " Herman went home at 2:AM.  I picked cherries at Shultzs in the afternoon.  I went to bed early as I was quite tired."


Tues., July 11:  "I picked cherries.  In the eve. H. & I went to the show with Barney & Clara.  H. made me mad because he had drank some beer."


Wed., July 12:  "I picked cherries.  In the eve. Alice & I went to Yucaipa to get some oil.  Saw H. a min.  We stopped by Wests on the way home."


Thurs., July 13:  "I picked cherries till noon.  In the afternoon Clara & I went to Wildwood swimming.  H. fixed the steering wheel in the eve.  Had supper there."


Fri., July 14:  "Mama, Alice & I went to Berdo.  Got my electric clock.  Mrs. West was over for supper.  Viella & Otho also came.  We took Mrs. West downtown to meet the bus."


Sat., July 15:  "We sewed.  Mama made Alice a dress.  Mr. Shultz took Alice & I down to the Wirths' Mentone Inn to a chicken dinner."

A bonus entry from child Liz:


"July 10, 1967:  My uncul died. after I was born."


I would have been referring to my Uncle Russ, John Russell Tapley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment