Thursday, July 7, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Vacations

Week 27:  Vacations. Where did your family go on vacation? Did you have a favorite place? Is it still there? If not, how has the area changed?

Even though I do not have any children of my own, since I was a child at one time myself, I have a few definite ideas of things I believe are good for them:  sitting down to dinner as a family every night, being read to every night before bed, having the responsibility of caring for a pet, and taking a VACATION every year.  I have to give my parents their due:  We did go on vacation when I was a child.  It was almost always to the same place, but we went.

Our vacation spot was in Lake Lure, North Carolina every June (see map).  Its claim to fame now is that it is where "Dirty Dancing" was filmed.  We were going there before that.  We were usually there over my birthday, and my mom would make sure I had a birthday cake and gifts in our motel room to celebrate.

Image courtesy of The Town of Lake Lure official website
Lake Lure is in the mountains, and it was and probably still is a beautiful place.  I haven't been there in years and years and years, so I do not even know what it looks like today.  I am sure there are more motels now than there were back in the late 1970's.  The town's official website gives the history of the area and describes what it is like today.

I found some postcards and pictures I have from those trips:

Lake Lure
Bottomless Pools, Lake Lure
Where we stayed


See the specs in the bottom, left-hand corner of the pictures?  That would be me and a friend at Lake Lure. I'm the taller one.

Just down the road from Lake Lure was Chimney Rock.  You didn't visit one without visiting the other.  Here are a postcard I collected and a few pictures from there:

That would be me.
(Even as a child, I loved and collected postcards everywhere I went!)

I will post just one more picture... this is one of the beautiful mountain streams in the area:

My father, Gilbert Tapley, along with my grand-aunt, Alice Thornburg (with her back turned), me, and a family friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment