Friday, December 2, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 46 and 47

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:
The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.

Kenneth's wife is also named Alice; her maiden name is unknown.

Sunday, November 19:  "Mama finished up Alice's dress.  Alice got mad & they went home about 4 o'clock.  Mama & I went for a ride to Redlands."

Monday, November 20:  "I went to school.  Mama cleaned the bedroom.  Viella was here to dinner.  Dad worked at Trowbridges."

Tuesday, November 21:  "I went to school.  Dad worked at Trowbridges."

Wednesday, November 22:  "I went to school.  I walked up to Clara's & she waved my hair.  I got two big blisters on my heals."

Thursday, November 23:  "I went to school.  My heals are pretty sore.  Dad worked in the afternoon at Trowbridges."

Friday, November 24:  "I went to school.  Plumlee's were over for a min. to asked me to a party."

Saturday, November 25:  "Mama & I sewed.  Elsie & Jimmy brought Hazel up, he got here about midnight."


Sunday, November 26:  "Hazel & I went on a picnic.  Livengoods were here for dinner.  Hazel & I went to Yucaipa in the eve."

Monday, November 27:  "Mama, Clara & I took Hazel to Pomona.  Mama & I had dinner at Livengoods.  It rained today."

Tuesday, November 28:  "I went to school.  It was today instead of yesterday that we took H. to Pomona."

Wednesday, November 29:  "I went to school.  Was to Luciles for dinner.  Busy getting ready for tomorrow's dinner."

Thursday, November 30 - Thanksgiving:  "Uncle Jont's, Othos' & Herman's were here for dinner.  Herman, Alice & I went to Jim Perry's wedding.  There was snow on the ground this morning."


Friday, December 1:  "Has warmed up quite a bit.  Laura was here to dinner.  Mama, Alice & Herman & I went to the show in San Berdo. at the Temple."

Saturday, December 2:  "We went to San Berdo.  Herman & Alice got a studio couch.  The family went over to Hessers in the eve.  I stayed home by myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment