Friday, December 23, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 49 and 50

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:


The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.

Kenneth's wife is also named Alice; her maiden name is unknown.

Sunday, December 10:  "Hazel froze us some ice cream.  Cathearts were here to dinner.  Livengoods visited in the afternoon.  Hazel & I went to town in the eve."


Monday, December 11:  "I went to school.  Hazel came after me at noon.  I helped him pick up walnuts in the afternoon.  We went to town."

Tuesday, December 12:  "I went to school.  Hazel & Joe brot me home after school.  Hazel stayed with Joe all night."

Wednesday, December 13:  "I went to school.  Hazel went to L.A.  Mama went with me to town.  (Mistake)  It rained to hard to go."

Thursday, December 14:  "I went to school.  Mama & Hazel went to town.  We made some pop corn in the evening."

Friday, December 15:  "I stayed home.  In the evening H. & I went up & visited Plumlees.  Dad got stuck in the mud as he started to go over to Petes.  Couldn't get it out."

Saturday, December 16:  "Dad & Hazel got the car out.  Hazel, Mama & I started for Alices.  Met Viella & pushed her to Berdo.  Went to Gertrudes to a dance in the eve."

Sunday, December 17:  "We made holly wreathes.  Started for L.A. about 10 'clock.  Went by way of Bouquet Canyon.  Left Hazel there & got home about six.  Alice came home with us."

 Monday, December 18:  "I went to school.  Alice & Mama came after me.  We went to Berdo.  Dad plowed at home."

Tuesday, December 19:  "I went to school.  Mama & Alice came after me & we went to the show.  Saw Marie Dressler in Christopher Bean.  Went to Berdo."


Wednesday, December 20:  "I went to school.  Mama & Alice came after me.  Visited Norah & Aunt Kate."

Thursday, December 21:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  We sewed. In the afternoon we quilted or rather tied a comforter for Alice."

Friday, December 22:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  Alice, Mama & I went to Berdo.  Saw Kinghams have to move the first on acct. of  _______.  Saw Norah in the afternoon."

Saturday, December 23:  "Dad worked on the C.W.A.  We finished tying Alice's comforter.  Finished up sewing for Alice."

And from child Liz:  

December 21, 1974:  "I went Xmas carolling to old people."  

December 23, 1974:  "My Aunt went in the hospitl."  (I have no recollection which aunt this was.)

No comments:

Post a Comment