Saturday, December 10, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 48

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.

Kenneth's wife is also named Alice; her maiden name is unknown.

Sunday, December 3:  "We had an early dinner & Alice & Herman left for home about 1, o'clock.  I went over to Yucaipa & got some cough drops."

Monday, December 4:  "Hazel's birthday, he is 22.  I went to school and registered for C.W.A. work**."



Tuesday, December 5:  "I went to school.  Dad has to go register at Yucaipa today.  Mama & I went to Mrs. Trowbridges & she gave me a skirt."

Wednesday, December 6:  "I went to school.  Kids went on their treasure hunt today.  Dad went to work on the CWA project."

Thursday, December 7:  "I went to school.  I took Mama over to Laura's & dad to work before school.  Dad I went after Mama in the eve."

Friday, December 8:  "I went to school.  My cold went to my left eye.  Dorthy Pate & her boy friend came over & took me for a ride."

Saturday, December 9:  "Mama worked on my dress & finished a skirt for me.  I met Hazel on the way to Yucaipa about 6 pm."


** "The Civil Works Administration was established by the New Deal during the Great Depression to create manual labor jobs for millions of unemployed. The jobs were merely temporary, for the duration of the hard winter."  "President Franklin D. Roosevelt unveiled the CWA on November 8, 1933.

The CWA was a project created under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). The CWA created construction jobs, mainly improving or constructing buildings and bridges. It ended on March 31, 1934, after spending $200 million a month and giving jobs to 4 million people."

- Civil Works Administration. (2011, December 7). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 06:57, December 10, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Civil_Works_Administration&oldid=464495868

No comments:

Post a Comment