Friday, February 15, 2013

Bessie Carter Ranney's 1929 Diary - Week 6, February 10-16

(To read entries from my maternal great-grandmother's 1929 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)
The Players:

The writer is Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother.  She was 46 at the time of this writing.
Her husband:
Luther Boardman Ranney, my great-grandfather.  He was 59 at the time of this writing.
 Her children:
Kenneth.  He was 20 at the time of this writing.
Alice.  She was 18 at the time of this writing.
Ethel, my grandmother.  She was 16 at the time of this writing.
Viella Crites Hesser, wife of Luther's first cousin, Otho Hesser

Jonathan Elisha "Uncle Jon't" Hesser & his wife, Sarah Catherine "Aunt Kate" Hall Hesser, Luther's uncle and aunt and Otho's parents.
Sunday, February 10, 1929:  "Very cold, the men didn't get home until after 7 A.M.  Alice & I took L. back to Bruce's to fill smudge pots.  Called on the way home at Pences for Ethel.  First time I was in their house.  Kenneth slept all day & sat up until nearly 2 to study at night.  Ethel got Bruce's & L. & bro't them here for my birthday dinner the girls got for me.  We went up to see Mona Espy at hospital.  She had operation for appendicitis.  Then went to Vespers and afterwards took Nora home.  Came home & got lunch & Alice & I went to Church."

Monday, February 11, 1929:  "Washed & did part of the ironing.  Worked hard all day.  The girls & I went up town when L. got home from Bruce's where he worked."

Tuesday, February 12, 1929:  "Viella Hesser was here for dinner.  Luther got home from Bruce's at 7 A.M. & then picked oranges.  Got a check from Mrs. Woessner for $10.  Viella asked me to go to P.T.A. meeting at Yucaipa with here so I did then went home with here & the girls came after me.  We had a real nice supper, birthday for me they said & came home."

Wednesday, February 13, 1929:  "Went up to the regular monthly Ladies' Aid meeting and dinner.  After dinner I met Bruce's at Albert's store and they took me to Velora Weaver's to Mother's Club.  We had a fine time.  Alice went to H. S. Dept. banquet.  Lucille was here awhile in the eve."

Thursday, February 14, 1929:  "Worked all day.  Fixed Ethel's tan silk dress.  Called on Mrs. Dickerson.  Stayed at Woessner's in the evening while they went to the Orange Show.
  Nora Livengood's baby was born.  Ordered flowers sent her.  Went over to wash P.T.A. dishes at Kingsbury, called at Mrs. Dickerson's & found school house closed when I got back."

Friday, February 15, 1929:  "Stayed home and worked on Ethel's green & tan dress.  The girls got a marcel and they with Kenneth went to the Orange Show.  I stayed at Woessener's until 11:15."

Saturday, February 16, 1929:  "Girls cleaned up the house and I baked some.  Mr. Hill, Capistrano Beach man, called.  Went down town when L. got home and got Kenneth some shoes.  We were at Hammond's awhile in the forenoon.  The girls and I went to the makio program in the evening."

No comments:

Post a Comment