Friday, April 5, 2013

Bessie Carter Ranney's 1929 Diary - Week 13, March 31 - April 6

(To read entries from my maternal great-grandmother's 1929 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)
  
The Players:
The writer is Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother.  She was 46 at the time of this writing.
Her husband:
Luther Boardman Ranney, my great-grandfather.  He was 59 at the time of this writing.
 Her children:
Kenneth.  He was 20 at the time of this writing.
Alice.  She was 18 at the time of this writing.
Ethel, my grandmother.  She was 16 at the time of this writing.
  Extras:
Viella Crites Hesser, wife of Luther's first cousin, Otho Hesser

Jonathan Elisha "Uncle Jon't" Hesser & his wife, Sarah Catherine "Aunt Kate" Hall Hesser, Luther's uncle and aunt and Otho's parents.

Sunday, March 31, 1929:  "The girls and I went to Sun. School & Church in the morning then we went to Dodson's at Highland.  Alice was sick with indigestion so she didn't have much fun.  Went over to Woessner's a few min. in the eve. but mostly read Alice's book to her."

Monday, April 1, 1929:  "Alice was sick so had Dr. Mock to see her.  Went up town & got some medicine for her.  Read her book to her in the afternoon.  Stayed at Woessner's in the eve."

Tuesday, April 2, 1929:  "Alice better so she went to school.  After Luther came home Alice & went up town.  Sec. meeting at Mrs. Garretson's so I was up there all day.  Came home to find Kenneth sick with a cold."

Wednesday, April 3, 1929:  "Kenneth stayed home from school.  I washed & cleaned up stairs.  Kenneth helped me."

Thursday, April 4, 1929:  "Rained hard so Luther couldn't work.  He took the children to school and went after them at night.  I fixed clothes up all day after the ironing was done."

Friday, April 5, 1929:  "Rained again part of the day.  When school was out Alice & I went up town and after supper Kenneth, Alice & I went to West Coast to show at San Bernardino."

Saturday, April 6, 1929:  "Felt awfully blue as Kenneth wants to go work in the mines in Nevada.  The children & I went to San Bernardino in the afternoon & go Kenneth an overcoat & Alice a spring coat.  Got home about 6.  Ethel went to show with her friends.  Alice & I stayed at Woessners awhile in evening."

No comments:

Post a Comment