Saturday, October 31, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Halloween Memories and Family History

  From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  What are your Halloween memories from childhood to adulthood?  How did you celebrate the day?  Do you have any photographs?

(2)  What about haunted houses?  Are there any in your family history? Black cats? Creepy neighbors? Or witches - are there any in your family tree?

(3)  If you were to make a genealogy-themed costume, what would it be?

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

I don't remember any Halloweens from my childhood.  I know Mom took me trick-or-treating, but I don't remember any of it.  There is one photo of me in a Halloween costume - Superman?! - but I can't locate it tonight.  

As an adult, I have attended my friends' Halloween parties or went along trick-or-treating with their 
children:

Halloween 2005


Halloween Party, 2005

Halloween 2006

Or maybe dressed up at work:

Halloween, 2013

I haven't celebrated Halloween in several years now.  I will wear a Halloween themed shirt and earrings, but no costumes since that picture in 2013 was taken.  

To my knowledge, I have had no haunted houses in my family history.  We've had some black cats over the years, but all of them had white on them, so they weren't totally black.  I'm sure we've had some bad neighbors over the years, but none that I would call creepy.  Neither do I know of any witches in the family tree.

Genealogy themed costume?  I am not good at coming up with costumes.  That may have something to do with my not dressing up for Halloween -- ever.  The only thing that comes to mind is being a research book.  But I have NO idea how I would make that happen.  

This post theme did make me wonder who in my tree were born, got married, or died on October 31.  NO ONE got married - I guess it's not considered a good day for a wedding.  But I did find a two births and two deaths. Not very many considering I have over 16,000 people in my database.  

Fleeta Pullen Williams (1886-1982), my 3rd cousin, 2x removed on the Tapley side, was born October 31.

Robert Garrison Snelling (1925-1981) was married to my 2nd cousin, 1x removed, Barbara Sylvia Gillis, who I'm related to through the Drake line.  Robert was born on October 31.

Thomas AVENT (1712-1757), my 6th great-grandfather.  He died on October 31.  His daughter, Mary, married Joel Tapley.  

John SAVAGE Jr (1652-1726), married my Great-Aunt Mary Ranny, and died on October 31.  

Happy Halloween!!

1 comment:

  1. Checking for vital events on Halloween is a great idea. I have 2 marriages in the mid 1700s, but then only births and deaths. As for Halloween costumes, the little kids always look the cutest.

    ReplyDelete