Saturday, October 24, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Where were your Ancestors 80 years ago?

 From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Determine where your ancestral families were on April 1, 1940 - 80 years ago when the U.S. Census was taken.

(2)  List them, their family members, their birth years, and their residence location (as close as possible).  Do you have a photograph of their residence from about that time, and does the residence still exist?

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

I have a total of 6 direct ancestors who were living 80 years ago in 1940  One parent, three grandparents, and two great-grandparents.  

*  My father, Gilbert Earl Tapley (1928-2008), along with his mother, Nealie V. Drake (1895-1970), was living on East Church Street in Sandersville, Washington County, Georgia.  He was 11 years old.  Also in the household were a few of my father's siblings:  Lamar, age 24, Russell, age 21, and Irene, age 14.  The odd thing is they have Aunt Irene listed as "Dempsey Irene" when Uncle Dempsey was another brother.  It is obvious they are describing Irene, though, as they list her as a daughter, age 14, and she was 3 years older than my father.  The enumerator also had written "Dorsey" on a line (another of my father's brothers), but crossed through that and put "Gilbert" instead.  I don't know if it was enumerator or my grandmother who was confused.  

My father's family moved around a lot after his father passed away in 1935.  He mentioned living in Sandersville at some point, but he never showed me the house or location.  So I have no pictures and have no idea if the house is still there.  Also, I was unable to discern the house number on the census.

* For some unknown reason, I have been unable to locate my maternal grandparents, Charles Morgan Tapley (1907-1973) and Ethel Ranney Tapley (1913-1973) on the 1940 census.  However, from their California Voter Registration, I know they were living at 15749 Vintage Street, Los Angeles, California in 1940.  When my mother and I visited Los Angeles in 2010, we visited this house, and I took pictures of it then.  However, I do not have any pictures from the time they lived there, so I don't know if it has changed any.  




* My great-grandparents, Luther Boardman Ranney (1870-1943) and Bessie Alice Carter Ranney (1883-1960) were living at 313 S. Sierra Way in San Bernardino, California in 1940.  Included in their household was their middle child, Alice Ranney Williams, who was age 28.  We also visited this location when we were in California, and I took pictures.  This house has been torn down and it was just a lot when we visited.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what the house looked like 80 years ago.



1 comment:

  1. It's too bad the San Bernardino house has been torn down. I love looking at old family homes.

    ReplyDelete