Saturday, October 3, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Create a Fact List in Your Genealogy Software

 From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Does your genealogy management software (e.g., Family Tree Maker, RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, Reunion, Heredis, Family Historian, etc.) create a "Fact List" report (or something similar) - a list of the profiles in your family tree that have (or don't have) a specific fact (e.g., birth, death, burial, immigration, etc.)?

(2)  If so, run a Fact List report to determine which people have a specific fact (or don't have a specific fact) and share it with us.

(2)  Share your results with us in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

I use Family Tree Maker 2019 as my genealogy software program of choice.  After all these years, I still struggle with printing reports with the exact information I need.  I just ordered a FTM19 user manual so that maybe I can utilize reports more often and efficiently.  

So in FTM19, I could not find just a "Fact List."  What I did find under "Sources" is Documented Facts and Undocumented Facts report choices.  I was excited about the Undocumented Facts report as in the beginning of my genealogy research journey, I tended to enter items into my family tree with no source documentation.  (I hold my head down in shame.  However, I think a lot of us started out this way.)  I have been slowly remedying that, but this Undocumented Facts report could show me the ones I've missed so I can fix them all.  

This screenshot shows when I go to "Publish" and choose "Source Reports," I find four reports to choose from.  Undocumented Facts is the highlighted choice.


I chose "All Individuals" under "Individuals to Choose."  I also checked "Show divider between individuals." This just makes reports more readable to me.  I ended up with a 837 page report.


The fact in my tree that is almost never sourced is the Sex (or gender) of the individual.  Unfortunately, the report settings did not allow me to exclude a fact.  So a lot of my 837 pages are unnecessary.  However, if I scroll down, I can find some other undocumented facts in my tree, such as names, birth or death dates, etc.  Here is a good example:


As you can see (if you enlarge the image), Joel Anderson in my tree does not have any source documentation for his name, marriage date, death date, or burial information.  Now I know to go look for some sources and get those documented!

(When I looked at the "Documented Facts" report, it would not allow me to choose the facts I want to include either.  I have said it before - Family Tree Maker needs to make their reports more robust and user friendly.)

1 comment:

  1. Documented & Undocumented Facts are a fabulous categories - much better than just a Fact List, as the computer has done the sorting for you.

    ReplyDelete