Sunday, December 13, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Santa Claus Memories

 From Randy (my newest cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night (on a Sunday afternoon!) 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!

Come on, everybody!   Join in and accept the mission and execute it with precision.

(1)  Answer these questions:

- Did you ever send a letter to Santa Claus?
- Did you ever visit Santa and "make a list?"
- Do you still believe in Santa Claus?
- When did you find out "the truth" about Santa Claus?

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

- Did you ever send a letter to Santa Claus?

I don't remember ever sending a letter to Santa Claus.  I checked with my mom, and she doesn't remember me sending one either.

- Did you ever visit Santa and "make a list?"

I have visited Santa exactly three times in my life that I know about or can remember.

The first one was taken at a department store in downtown Jacksonville, Florida when I was about 6 years old, so circa 1973:


Mom said I was very scared, but it seems I hid it fairly well for the picture.

The second time was after we moved to Swainsboro, Georgia.  I think I must have been about 8, so circa 1975.  I remember it was taken at the Western Auto.


The third time I had my picture made with Santa was just last year.  Mom was visiting me here in North Carolina, and we drove to see the lights at Hill Ridge Farms in Youngsville.  It was all my idea to get a picture with Santa.



I don't believe I ever made a list for Santa, but I remember pouring over the Sears & Roebuck catalog and bending down the pages for everything I wanted!

- Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

Why yes I do.  See picture from last year, above.  

- When did you find out "the truth" about Santa Claus?

I don't remember.  I mean, I was a pretty smart kid, and I was raised as an only child, so I am sure I saw and heard more than I should, but I don't remember a distinctive moment.  I think once I figured it out, I didn't change my attitude much, cause as I said, I know Santa is real.

The interesting thing that I did not learn until after my father passed away in 2008, is that my parents had a difference in upbringing and beliefs when it came to Santa Clause.  My mother was raised in a strict church, and her parents did not play Santa.  As a matter of fact, she was told right from the beginning that there is no Santa.  She did not want me told about Santa and keep up that belief for ever how many years of my childhood it would last.  My father, on the other hand, wanted me to have that experience.  So I was raised believing in Santa.  I'm actually glad I was.  

HO, HO, HO!!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment