Friday, January 28, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 3

(You can read prior entries from my grandmother's 1933 diary here:  Part 1 and Part 2.)

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.

Sunday, January 22:  "Kenneth came & woke us up about 5 am.  H. came over.  Lucile & Clint took us to town.  We played bridge & went to Church.  Bernice & family came up."

Monday, January 23:  "H. & I got home about 2:15 am.  Bernice got stuck in the mud didn't get started till about 2:00.  Kenneth & Laura left about same time.  Mama & I went to Yucaipa."

Tues., January 24:  "Mama & I washed.  H. came over & we went to Trowbridges & Plumlees.  It is a clear day for a change."

Wed., January 25:  "It is cloudy again.  Lucile came up & stayed for dinner.  I went home with her for the night.  Alice stayed at Uncle Jonts.  H. & Clint came down to Pences & played bridge."

Thurs., January 26:  "I came home about 9:30 am.  Mama & I got Viella at H. Hessers & we went to Holts to quilt.  H. came over in the evening."

Fri., January 27:  "Mr. Dearson came up.  Hazel came up & we went & got the tractor & I took the Ford home.  Stopped at Trobridges & Plumlees.  It is raining again."

Sat., January 28:  "We went by Holts & took Laura to San Berdo with us.  H. & I met in Redlands.  I came home with him.  Lucile & Clint came up & took us home with them."

  I love that she had good friends, spent lots of time with her boyfriend AND her family... and there was time to embroider, quilt and play bridge. 

More next week.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment