Friday, September 2, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Parts 32 and 33

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend. 



Sunday, August 13:  "I went to S.S.  Alice & Herman went to Redlands to church.  It certainly is hot.  H. & Hesser's were here for dinner.  H. & I went up toward Forest Home in the eve."

Monday, August 14:  "We washed in the morning.  In the afternoon we went over to West's & tied a comforter for Kenneth.  We went to Yucaipa for groceries."

Tuesday, August 15:  "We tied a comforter for Alice.  Mama worked on Alice's blue silk dress.  Viella was here for a little while.  Lucile & Clint were here for a little while."

Wednesday, August 16:  "Dad worked on carrot gang.  We went to Hesser's & worked on Alice's dress.  Cleaned Mrs. West''s house.  Went to Yucaipa for some groceries."

Thursday, August 17:  "We cleaned out Alice's things & packed them.  Dad worked on carrot gang.  We went to Redlands in the afternoon.  I took Alice's things over to H's.  Saw Lucile at Miller's.  Went home with Lucile."

Friday, August 18:  "Lucile & I worked on things for Clints' supper.  Was quite hot.  Addie, Lucile & I went to the show, saw "I loved you Wed.".


Saturday, August 19:  "Came home from Lucile's about 10 a.m.  Herman came about 2 p.m.  I cleaned H's house in the afternoon.  H. & I went to San Berdo in the eve.  Saw a bad wreck."

Sunday, August 20:  "Herman picked some peaches & Alice packed them.  H. was here to dinner.  H. & I went to town in the eve saw movie.  Joan Crawford & Gary Cooper."


Monday, August 21:  "Dad & Alice worked at Colijh.  Mama & I washed.  Banks were here for awhile."

Tuesday, August 22:  "Alice & Dad worked at Colijh, I packed 53 bxs at Symmes.  Went down to Luciles to a birthday supper for Clint.  H. stayed all night."

Wednesday, August 23:  "Alice & Dad worked at Colijhs' & Shultz's.  I packed 106 bxs at Symmes. Waited for the folks from 3:45 till 6.  Stopped at Shultz's & helped Alice finish up.  Lucile & folks were up for a min."

Thursday, August 24:  "Alice & I rested up in the morning.  I packed peaches at Shultz's from about 4 till 6.  Alice & I went to Yucaipa, saw H. & Clara & Barney."
Image courtesy of kidsinco.com.

Friday, August 25:  "We washed.  Dad picked at Shultzs & I packed from noon on.  We went over to Yucaipa saw Hazel."

Saturday, August 26:  "Herman came about 9 o'clock.  I went over to Yucaipa & Hazel & I went to Berdo."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment