Friday, March 1, 2013

Bessie Carter Ranney's 1929 Diary - Week 8, February 24 - March 2

(To read entries from my maternal great-grandmother's 1929 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)
The Players:
The writer is Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother.  She was 46 at the time of this writing.
Her husband:
Luther Boardman Ranney, my great-grandfather.  He was 59 at the time of this writing.
 Her children:
Kenneth.  He was 20 at the time of this writing.
Alice.  She was 18 at the time of this writing.
Ethel, my grandmother.  She was 16 at the time of this writing.
Viella Crites Hesser, wife of Luther's first cousin, Otho Hesser

Jonathan Elisha "Uncle Jon't" Hesser & his wife, Sarah Catherine "Aunt Kate" Hall Hesser, Luther's uncle and aunt and Otho's parents.
Sunday, February 24, 1929:  "Alice, Kenneth & I went to Church & Sun. School.  K. to Baptist Church.  Orange Sun. all decorated in oranges & each rec'd orange at the door.  I changed to Mr. Ewart's class in Sun. S.  Ethel went to Pence's in the afternoon.  Alice & Kenneth went for a ride about 4 & K. went to movies.  Luther, Alice & I went to Vespers.  Came home & had lunch & Luther & I went to Church in the evening."

Monday, February 25, 1929:  "Miss Woodbury's bro. died Sun. night & Miss Holbrook phoned me so I went around & phoned & got 20 names & $5 for flowers.  A spray to be sent from Collet's.  Did a little washing & ironed.  Stayed with Chas. from 3 until 5.  Then called on Mrs. Westcott about the flowers.  Alice and I went up town.  Stayed with Chas. in evening until 10:30."

Tuesday, February 26, 1929:  "It is a very windy day so I feel worried about Luther picking oranges.  Sewed and fixed clothes most of the day.  Mrs. Woessner & Miss Hoag called to pay for flowers.  Also Mrs. Pettibone visited me quite awhile and late in the afternoon Mrs. Smith came & made me a good visit.  Lucile was here in the evening."

Wednesday, February 27, 1929:  "Was going to do some sewing then a man came and said a part was broken in the machine & took it to be fixed.  Mrs. Woessener came over & I fixed her new dress a little.  Went back with K. to school as far as town, paid some bills & called on Mrs. Dickerson on the way home.  Girls went to hear the Russian choir after school.  Kenneth went to U. of R. to hear Mr. Garland speak in the eve.  Alice & I took Ethel to Pence's, K. to U. of R. & then went after them."

Thursday, February 28, 1929:  "Mrs. Woessner called.  Man brought back the sewing machine head.  Mrs. Elder was over awhile.  Had a spell of indigestion so I felt awful all afternoon and evening.  Ethel sick with a cold & Alice about sick too."

Friday, March 1, 1929:  "A beautiful day.  Ethel has a hard cold & Alice not very well.  I have a spell of indigestion so we are a hospital crowd.  Had to stay at Woessner's a couple of hrs. in the evening.  The children went to the movies to see Abie's Irish Rose."

Saturday, March 2, 1929:  "We are all feeling miserable yet but cleaned up the house pretty fair.  Ethel went for a ride with Lucille & bro't home some ice cream.  Alice went up town.  We went to Nora's when L. came home but no one there.  Came home & paid Gaume's bill on the way.  Girls & I went to library in the evening.  Hammond's had Fuzz Chloroformed.  She bro't over some magazines.  Got telegram from Sam M. he would pay $1000 now.  Kenneth went with Prof. Kyle's class to Greek play in Pasadena.  Got home at 11 P.M."

No comments:

Post a Comment