Monday, March 30, 2020

Amanuensis Monday: Last Will and Testament of Thomas Avent

This is a throw back to the days of using a prompt every day of the week for a blog post.  It is a good way to get ideas flowing.  

"In the Name of God, Amen; I, Thomas Avent, of Northampton County, North Carolina Being in a very weak Condition and Knowing it is appointed for all mon [sic] once to Die Do make and ordain this my Last will and testament in manner and form following Viz.:

First I recommend my Soul to almighty God the giver and as for my worldly goods I give and bequeath as followeth -------------------------

Item: I give and bequeath to my Brother William Avent an Island of Land Joyning [sic] on his own Dwelling plantation Containing by Estimation fifty acres to him and his heirs for ever.

Item: I Lend to my Loving wife Uslea [sic] Avent all my Estate without exception During the time she shall continue my widow and on her Death or marriage to be Equally divided amongst my Children and I do hereby Revoke all others made heretofore Either by word or writing and I hereby appoint John Moore & William my executors to this my Last Will and Testament as witness my hand this fifteenth Day of April, 1751.

               his
Thomas   X     Avent
              mark

Test: 
Richard Moore [illegible]

[illegible name]

           his
John    X       Davis [illegible]
          mark"


"Northampton County
February Court 1752

The within written Will was Exhibited into court and proven by the oath of Richard Moore one of the subscribing witnesses thereto and at the same time John Moore and William Avent were qualify'd Executors thereof; which on motion was ordered to be Certify'd. 

Test JEdwards  Cler Cur"


Outside of folded Will:

"Thomas Avent's
Will
[illegible] the 28th March
1752"





Source:  "North Carolina Original Wills, 1663-1790", State Agency Records, Secretary of State, filmed by the North Carolina Division of Archives and History, June 2000.

Thomas Avent was my 6th great-grandfather.  His daughter, Mary, married Joel Tapley, son of Hosea Tapley and Sarah Moore.  Sarah's father, John Moore, is probably the John Moore listed as an Executor in Thomas Avent's will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment