Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What's on Your Genealogy Bookshelf?

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!



Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Teresa at the Writing My Past blog wrote a post about her genealogy bookshelf, even showing photographs of the books on several of her shelves. Another reader of Randy's blog, Linda Stufflean, though this was a good SNGF topic, so here we are!

(2)  What books or types of books are on your genealogy bookshelf (ves) in your home?  Do you have a photo of them? Are there specific books that you use more than others?

(3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.

Here's mine:

Well, the first thing I realized is that I have books on different shelves all around my office space and living room.  My desk sits in a corner of my living room with bookshelves that are a part of my desk, an IKEA bookshelf behind me in my office space, and a larger IKEA bookcase in the living part of the room filled with all sorts of books and also scrapbooks.  

I keep my most referenced books on the shelves above my desk.  Here are those:


* Tapley, A family of Georgia and the South by Ray Tapley is my holy grail.  I have used it constantly over the years, and it is never out of my reach.  I contributed to Ray's research when he was writing the book, so my copy is signed by him, and that makes it that much more valuable to me.

* The Drake Family of Washington County, Georgia by Charles Edward Francis Drake stays close by also.  

* Searching for our Ancestors Among the Gravestones, 2000 Second Edition, A Cemetery Record of Johnson County, Georgia, published by The Johnson County Historical Society is another valuable reference book.  I  have used it many, many times over the years and wonder if a newer edition has been done or is planned???

The newest edition to my library was a gift from my cousin, Keith, last time I saw him at Christmas time.  Another valuable resource I can't wait to use:



* Cemeteries of Jefferson County Georgia, 1794-2000, compiled by Leroy Lewis and The Jefferson County Historical Society. 

 Then we move to the bookshelf behind me.  This is where I store notebooks for each family with paperwork I want to save, such as copies of birth and death certificates, censuses, etc.  I have a few genealogy books here, too:


* Celebrating 150 Years of Johnson County (Georgia), 1858-2008, published by The Johnson County Historical Society.  As you can tell, my Tapley roots are deeply planted in that county in Georgia.

* Descendants of Exum Drake, Volume III, Descendents of Francis Bryant Drake and Selina King by Robert Eldon Drake, M.D., 1977.  This book arrived when I was about 10-12 years old and really fueled my genealogy interest.  

* NGS (National Genealogical Society) Research in the States Series:  Georgia by Linda Woodward Geiger and Paul K. Graham.  Hmmmm... I probably should get the North Carolina version, too.

* The Genealogist's Google Toolbox by Lisa Louise Cooke.  I had forgotten I had this book!  I need to put ii on my desk!

* Organizing Your Family History Search: Efficient & Effective Ways to Gather and Protect Your Genealogical Research by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack.  I need to use this one more.

There are more generalized books on the bookshelf in the living room:




I'm not going to describe every book that is there, but you can definitely tell that I have an interest in the Civil War.  I have visited several of the battlefields, and I love to read about the lives the civilians were trying to live during that time.  I also picked up a few North Carolina reference books at a genealogy day last year in Mount Airy, North Carolina.  Then I have workbooks and syllabi from the couple of conferences I have attended.  If you see anything you have a question about, please message me.

I also have books on my computer.  The most important one is:

* Middletown Upper Houses, a history of the north society of Middletown, Connecticut, from 1650-1800, with genealogical and biographical chapters on early families and a full genealogy of Ranney's by Charles Collard Adams.  As I was working on this post, I found this book available for Kindle.  So now I have a genealogy book there, too. 

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about the books I've collected on my computer! I have a lot of local histories written before the turn of the century. They're a great resource for social history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been an interesting topic. Your books are centered around specific interests, which I am seeing on others' posts, too. I think that is indicating that we are all more advanced researchers who are digging into locality or ethnicity resources to expand our knowledge. That is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete