Saturday, March 7, 2020

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Do You Have a Mary Smith?

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!



Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  How many persons named Mary Smith do you have in your genealogy management program or online family tree?  How many persons named Mary smith are ancestors?

(2)  Pick out one of those persons named Mary Smith and do some online research for them on Ancestry, FamilySearch, or another set of record collections.  Your goal is to add something to your database.

(3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to his blog post, or in a post on Facebook.

Here's mine:

 I have seven (7) Mary Smiths in my Family Tree Maker 2019 database.  I was surprised I had that many!  Of the seven, four are really no relation - only by marriage.  Of the remaining three, Mary Elvira Smith (1908-1936) is my 3rd cousin, 2x removed; Mary Coleman Smith is my 4th cousin, 1x removed and is alive and kicking; and Mary Smith (abt 1738-??) is my 5th great-grandmother.  

So I naturally chose my 5th great-grandmother to research this evening.  I have no information about her parents.  She married Jacob Osman (1732-bef 1790) on May 11, 1763 in Orange County, New York.  They had seven children.  I am descended from their oldest child, Abrham Ozman (1764-1848).  (Yes, different spelling of the last name is correct.  I have Osman, Osmun, Ozman, and Ozmun in my database and they are all from the same family.)

I searched Ancestry hints, and there were only two.  One hint is from England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991, but since I do not have an international membership to Ancestry, I cannot explore that one.  The only other hint was for Ancestry Member Trees.  These hints are notoriously unreliable.  I only use them when I want to confirm what I think I already know.  I did take a peek in this instance, but no one else knows who her parents were either.  

There was one hint on FamilySearch:

Name: Mary Smith
Birth:  1737 in Dudley, Worcester, England
Marriage:  11 May 1763 in New York, British Colonial America (matches what I have)
Spouse:  Jacob Essmond (First name matches; last name... a new spelling perhaps?)
Children:  lists seven children, but only two of the names match what I have.

I'm inclined to think the Mary Smith at FamilySearch is my Mary Smith, but more research into their children is needed.  

I searched FindAGrave also, but found no Mary Smith that matched mine.

So I was unable to add anything new to my database about Mary Smith, my 5th great-grandmother.  

1 comment:

  1. With 7 Mary Smiths, you have more than double mine and I have no direct ancestor Mary Smiths.

    ReplyDelete