Sunday, January 31, 2021

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2021 (Week 4): Favorite Photo

 Amy Johnson Crow from Generations Cafe is again hosting the blog writing prompt this year called 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: 2021.  I'm going to try to participate more fully this year.  I like that she gives us "permission" to interpret the prompt however we wish and share it however we wish.  It doesn't have to be a blog post; it could be a family video, a letter to a child or grandchild, an e-mail, etc.  

The Theme for Week 4 (Jan 25-31) is Favorite Photo.

Most of my favorite photos had already been shared on this blog.  However, I kept looking, and I think I finally found a contender.



This a picture of my Great Uncle Kenneth Carter Ranney (1909-1989).  I am guessing this photo was taken in Duplain, Clinton County, Michigan about 1920.  That would have made Uncle Kenneth about 11 years old, and that seems about right.  

That is a kitten on his head, and a chicken near him.  His father, Luther Boardman Ranney (1870-1943), was a farmer in Michigan before the family moved to California.  This picture has all the markings of having been taken on a farm, right down to Uncle Kenneth's overalls and boots.  

Someone, possibly his mother, Bessie Alice Carter Ranney (1883-1960), wrote on this picture, "Kenneth acting silly."  I'm glad in the midst of the hard work of a farm, the children could find a moment to enjoy themselves and act a little silly.

Oh, and the love of cats passed right down from Bessie to her children, including my grandmother, to my mother, and to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment