Saturday, January 2, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Are Your 2021 Plans/Goals/Resolutions for Your Genealogy Research?

 From Randy (my newest cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  It's the New Year and many readers and bloggers have already made resolutions or goals or plans for one or more tasks or projects.  Or they haven't yet, but could... or should. 

(2) For this week, please tell us what plans, goals or resolutions you've made for 2021.  Writing them down may help you achieve them. Do one or more as you wish.

(3) Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

I always do this and then never look at the list again.  So I don't get my goals met or my projects done.  But I will try again and while these are repeated goals/projects/resolutions, I am going to try my best to accomplish them this year.

Goal/Resolution #1:  Get all of the family pictures scanned to my computer and get all the photos on my computer named and organized.  Like everyone else, I have photos all over the place on my computer.  Or the names I gave the early family pictures I scanned does not follow the pattern I use now.  I actually got a good start on this while I was working part-time at the beginning of the pandemic.  When I started back working full-time, the project kind of fell by the wayside.  

I also need to do this for my personal photos, which I keep on a different external drive from my genealogy research and photos.  When I moved to North Carolina in 2011 and went to work, time became very short, and I just got lazy and stopped dating and naming pictures.  If I would just do this 15 minutes a day, I could get a lot done, if not all of it.

All of this is a huge project, but it is so important, and it could lead to a project for next year that I have been putting off for YEARS.  Scanning my photo negatives.  Remember those?  I have many, many that need to be transferred to digital.  

Goal/Resolution #2:  Participate fully in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge for 2021 hosted by Amy Johnson Crow.  I signed up last year and did only a handful of posts.  I so enjoy sharing family information and stories on my blog, and this would help with that.  Reading others' take on the challenges inspires ideas for my own themes.  I really have been turning over the theme in my mind for Week #1 for a few days now, and I think I've come up with something.  Hopefully, I can write that blog post tomorrow.  

Goal/Resolution #3:  Cleaning up the sources and data in my Family Tree Maker 19 software.  I have actually started working on this.  I get distracted and bored easily, but I've been trying.  

When I started, I was not good about adding sources like I do now.  And somehow, a lot of the sources in my software has been duplicated or more.  That could be from using Ancestry.com hints; I don't know.  So I have been going through and trying to combine duplicate sources.  

I have also been working on a data errors report for a few weeks now.  This is a report that indicates when something doesn't seem right... like a married couple who have the same last name when they marry, a woman who seems to have a baby before she's 13 years old, or someone has duplicate death  or birth dates, etc.  Of course working on this report, gets me to going down a rabbit hole on a family - oh I didn't know he/she was the child of them! - but I always make my way back eventually.  And I've picked up some cousin information along the way.

So these are my goals/projects/resolutions for 2021.  Will I make it?  Or will I give up by the end of January?  Would anyone out there like to buddy up and encourage each other to reach our goals?  If so, hit me up!  

4 comments:

  1. What I did last year was write the goals and posted them where I could see them on my bulletin board. Crossing three out six off was very satisfying. Break up your photo goals into smaller chunks, then you can enjoy crossing them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say your first goal is the most important. I got that done several years ago, but having digital images of everything not only ensures that the photos will survive in some form in the future, but it makes it incredibly easy to share with others. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete