Saturday, January 16, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Our "Academy of Genealogy and Family History" (AGFH) Nominees

 From Randy (my newest cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Does anyone recall the Academy of Genealogy and Family History (AGFH) awards from back in the 2008-2012 time frame, hosted by Jasia on Creative gene? Genea-bloggers would nominate blog entries in different categories, and Jasia would collect all of them with links to each blogger's post.  The bloggers selected their own posts for nominations.

(2) This week, let us nominate the "best" posts from 2020 that we wrote in these categories:

*  Best Picture (a photograph)
* Best Screenplay (a story)
* Best Documentary (a series)
* Best Biography
* Best Comedy

(3)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

* Best Picture (a photograph):


This picture was taken of me circa 1972-1973 in Swainsboro,  Georgia at my Pop Pop's house (Charles Morgan Tapley).  He is probably the one who bought me the fridge.  I don't remember much, but I do know I thoroughly enjoyed playing with that fridge.  This was my choice for Best Picture for 2020 because I was young and cute then and was having a great time.  

* Best Screenplay (a story):

Disaster is a blog post I wrote for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.  It is the story about my paternal grandparents, Lusion K Tapley and Nealie Drake Tapley, losing their farm during the Great Depression.  


* Best Documentary (a series):

The series I started in September 2020, Time Capsule Tuesdays, requires the most research and seems to be a favorite of my readers.  I cover what was going on in the United States on a family member's birth date, date of death, or anniversary.  The first one I did was February 9, 1883, my great-grandmother's, Bessie Carter Ranney, date of birth.   

* Best Biography:

I wrote a post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks about my maternal grandmother, Nealie Drake Tapley, called Strong Woman.  It's my favorite of the posts I wrote about an individual ancestor last year.  

* Best Comedy:

The only comedy I included on my blog was my favorite Christmas Song:  Ray Stevens' "Santa Claus Is Watching You" from another Saturday Night Genealogy Post, Blog Caroling.  It is pretty funny through.


2 comments:

  1. It was sad to read what happened to your family during the Depression, but I enjoyed your writing in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was sad. In many ways, they never recovered. Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment!

      Delete