Saturday, January 30, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Best Summer Vacation as a Kid

 From Randy (cousin discovery!!) over at Genea-Musings:

it's Saturday Night 
time for more Genealogy Fun!!!


Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

(1)  Tell us about a memorable summer vacation when you were a child.  What are your memories of summer vacations with your family? Did you travel? How? Did you visit extended family? Who?

(2)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a post on Facebook.  

Here's mine:

We went on vacation every year.  It was always the mountains of North Carolina, and it was always the week of my birthday, my father's birthday, and Father's Day.  I can remember having a birthday cake and presents in a motel room in Lake Lure one year.  I remember my father barely going 20 miles an hour the last stretch into Lake Lure, and I was about to go crazy, wanting him to HURRY UP ALREADY!  I really don't remember  much about these trips.  I just know it was the ONLY time we ate out was on that once-a-year vacation.  (My poor mother.)  My father wanted to go to Lake Lure every year, and I think that's probably where my aversion came from of going the same place over and over.  I want to see new things.  I can't think of a time since I've been an adult that I have visited the same place twice on vacation.  

Angela and me at Lake Lure, NC


I think we went other places at other times with Colene and Robert.  Grandfather Mountain and Chimney Rock (both in North Carolina.)  We may have gone to Florida a few times with them also. 

Here I am at Chimney Rock, NC
 

Grandfather Mountain, NC
Front:  Missi and Colene's Grandson, Kenny
Back: Angela, Mom, me, and Harry Jr


In 1977, I remember we went to Six Flags outside Atlanta.  Probably the only reason I remember that is we heard on the radio on the way home that Elvis had died.  

I also can remember going to Chattanooga, Tennessee to Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain one time.  All I remember of that trip is my father rushing through and not wanting to look at anything.

I don't recall us ever going to the beach.  Our swimming was in the motel pool or lakes.

Over the years, other kids joined us on vacation.  Colene's niece, Angela, my nephew, Harry Jr., and my niece, Missi, all joined us at least once.  

While I don't remember much of these trips, I am thankful that my parents recognized the importance of getting away for a vacation at least once a year.  I still feel that is important.  I am not able to do much traveling anymore - my vacations consist of visiting Georgia and cemeteries!  


1 comment:

  1. I've visited the mountains of North Carolina. They are beautiful. We spent a week near Asheville. Fun that you have a few photos, too. My family also went to the same places every year - to my grandparents' cottage in Maine and my aunt and uncle's cottage in NH, but I loved every minute of those summers.

    ReplyDelete