Thursday, July 30, 2026

Treasure Chest Thursday

     As I have shared on this blog, my maternal grandparents, Charles Morgan Tapley (1907-1973) and Ethel Irene Ranney Tapley (1913-1973) passed away the same day in November 1973.  (You can read about this here.)  I was only 6 years old.  I don't remember a whole lot about the time leading up to the funeral or the funeral itself.  I know a lot of people came to the house in Swainsboro, which is where my grandparents lived.  There were some I had never met, which seemed to have stayed in my memory the most vividly.  There were some I knew well.  And there was my Uncle Hugh.  He was my father's brother, and he was my favorite uncle.  I don't remember his arrival from Florida.  He was just suddenly there late in the evening.  The next day, he went to the flower shop to order flowers for the funeral, and for whatever reason, he took me with him.  I like to think that he could see I was overwhelmed with all the activity and people at the house.  I don't know for sure.  

    He made his selection for flowers, and I don't know if I was looking at this little flower bouquet in a wicker basket or not, but he bought it for me.  Please understand that this was so out of character for my Uncle Hugh.  He was notoriously tight with his money - it's a family joke that he squeaked when he walked.   So looking back, to me it meant that he saw a little girl's pain and loneliness (and of course I was his favorite niece) and wanted to give me something to hold on to in the coming days. 

    Little did he know that I have now held onto it for 53 years.  It has its own place of honor in my corner curio cabinet with all of my other precious family treasures.  When I look at it, I am reminded of the love between an uncle and a niece and the thoughtfulness that came out of that love.



    It may not be much to look at now, but it means the world to me.  Thank you, Uncle Hugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment