Friday, March 11, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 9

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          Kenneth is her brother.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (his brother, Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., March 5:  "H. came over about 9 am & we went up to Trowbridges, then to Mr. Plumlees for a chicken dinner.  Went for a ride to Beaumont. Barnett's here to dinner.  Garrisons called.  H. & I went to the show."

Mon., March 6:  "Visited Marie a little while this morning. Mama & I went to Trowbridges, Kemps & Millers & called. I saw H. a minute at Trowbridges."

Tues., March 7:  "Mama & I went down to Garretson's & quilted.  In the morning I went to Lucile's & washed my hair then got it waved at Harris's.  H. came over & we went to Dietrichs."

Wed., March 8:  "Mama & I washed. H. came over in the afternoon & we went to Trowbridges.  Viella stopped by for a little while.  H. & I put Clara's jig saw puzzle together."

Thurs., March 9:  "Mama & I went down & quilted.  In the morning Lucile & I went to San Berdo.  In the afternoon we both quilted. H. came over for a little while & brot me some candy."

Fri., March 10:  "Mama quilted.  I went with Lucile & folks to Palm Springs. We climbed the sadle. There was a bad earthquake. Lucile came home with us & H. took us over to Clints. We rode bicycles & played cards."

Sat., March 11:  "Dad's birthday. H. came over & we went up to Napiers & saw Eva & her baby. We went down to Millers & listened for reports about the earthquake. H., Clint, Lucile & I went to Berdo to the show."

No comments:

Post a Comment