Friday, March 18, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 10

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          Kenneth is her brother.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (his brother, Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., March 12:  "Wests & Joyces came & we celebrated dads & Mr. Joyces birthdays.  H. came over & we went to Redlands & saw Delma.  Then we went to Trowbridges for supper & spent the evening.  Coopers & others listened to our radio."

Mon., March 13:  "Mama & I quilted, Aunt Kate helped us.  We ate dinner at H. Hessers.  H. came over in the evening & put a jig saw puzzle together."

Tues., March 14:  "Mama & I quilted.  We ate dinner at Norahs.  We finished the quilt 4:30.  H. came after me, we went to Delmas then to Dietrichs."

Wed., March 15:  "Mama & I washed.  Dad worked on the conservation work.  Mrs. Cooper came over in the afternoon.  Alice & I went after dad."

Thurs., March 16:  "Mama & I ironed & washed.  Dad worked.  I have started a crazy quilt.  Alice & I went after dad.  Lucile was up for a few min & brot some sweet peas."

Fri., March 17:  "H. came over about noon.  We went to Yucaipa.  Viella came over for a little while.  We put a jig saw puzzle together."

Sat., March 18:  "Mama, Alice, Hazel & I went to San Berdo.  Alice stayed all night at Hazel Hesser's so as to see the senior play.  H. & I went to Berdo to the show we saw Sea Killers & Fighting Champ."


 And another bonus this week.  An entry by child Liz dated March 13, 1974:  "My uncul went to the Hospital and He is Vary sad."  I do no know which uncle I was referring to, though I did lose two uncles in the next few months that year.  Obviously, I was aware and concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment