Friday, March 4, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 8

(You can read prior entries from my grandmother's 1933 diary here:  Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5, and Part 6, and Part 7.)

Key:   The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
          Alice is her sister.
          Kenneth is her brother.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (his brother, Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., February 26:  "Alice, Mrs. Cooper & I went to S.S. & church.  Mrs. Cooper stayed for dinner.  H. came over & we went for a ride.  We spent the evening endeavoring to put a jig saw puzzle together."

Mon., February 27:  "Mama & I washed.  I don't feel very well.  H. came over about noon.  We worked on a puzzle all afternoon.  Herman came up & stayed all night.  A. & I took the occasional chair to have it repaired."

Tues., February 28:  "Mama & I ironed.  We worked on my suit for awhile.  H. & I went to Yucaipa in the evening."

Wed., March 1:  "Mama worked on clothes.  H. came over & I went with him to Redlands & we made 3 trips moving Mrs. Brown's furniture."

Thurs., March 2:  "Banks are closed.  I took dad over on 6th. st. to work.  Had to wait for Skyeeres (??) for a long time.  H. came over & we got some stones & put them around his flower bed.  Went to Trowbridges."

Fri., March 3:  "Mrs. Cooper, mama & I called on Mrs. Ball.  H. came over & we went to Yucaipa, saw Lucile at Millers.  We went to Dietrichs & stayed for supper.  Brenice & Jones came while we were there."

Sat., March 4:  "Mrs. Ball & Mrs. Cooper came over to hear the inaugral address.  They stayed for dinner.  Mrs. Cooper & dad sprayed.  Duke of the University died yesterday morning.  H. came over & we worked on a puzzle for quite awhile then we went to Yucaipa."

And... as an added bonus... Elizabeth (Liz) as a child made a few entries herself into her grandmother's diary...

Sat., March 1, 1975:  "I got my new Easter dress."  
March 2, 1975:  "Rhonda {my cousin} spet {spent} the night with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment