Friday, April 15, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 14

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:

The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.

          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., April 9:  "Alice & I went to S.S.  Folks went down to park to eat with Livengoods.  H., Joe, Caroline & I went to Barton Flats."

Mon., April 10:  "We washed.  Dad sawed wood.  H. came over about 11 & helped.  Alice & I took Verda to town in H. car.  Alice, H. & I went to Trowbridges for ice cream in eve.  H. stayed all nite."

Tues., Apr. 11:  "Dad & H. sawed wood all day.  Mama, Alice & I went to Berdo.  Went to the show.  Got our Easter hats.  H. went with H. Wallen & Joe Fox to Barton Flats for couple nights."

Wed., April 12:  "Viella cut Alice's & my hair.  Clara waved our hair.  Livengoods came up for dinner.  H. came down from the mountains to get some groceries.  Dad worked on conservation work."

Thurs., April 13:  "We washed.  Dad worked on the conservation work.  Herman came about 5:30 pm.  He brot a jig-saw puzzle & I put it together."

Fri., April 14:  "Herman & Alice went to Lake Arrowhead.  H. came down from the mountains. H. & I made some ice cream in afternoon.  Herman stayed all night.  H. & I went to Yucaipa for awhile."


Yucaipa from Flag Hill, 1930s (Courtesy, Yucaipa Valley Historical Society)
  Sat., April 15:  "Herman went home about 7:30 am.  I finished another crazy quilt block.  H. came over & we went to Joe's.  Took Joe to town with us.  We saw Clara a little while."

No comments:

Post a Comment