Friday, April 29, 2011

Grandma's Diary, Part 16

(To read prior entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California."  All posts are listed there.)

Key:
The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
          H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
          Delma = Hazel's little sister
          Earl = Hazel's brother
          Verda = Earl's wife
          Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's, child)
          Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
          Viella is Otho's wife.
          Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
          Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
          Herman (Williams) is Alice's boyfriend.

Sun., April 23:  "Took Alice, Ruth & Kathryn to S.S.  I went for ride with H, Ben & Lillian.  Ruth, Kathryn & H. here to dinner.  In the eve. took Earl's & went to Lucile's church."

Mon., April 24:  "It is foggy.  Mama & I called on Millers.  Then we helped clean the M.E. Church kitchen.  H. & I made boxes in the eve."

Tues., April 25:  "Mama went to a W.C.T.U. dinner.  I helped H. make boxes.  In the afternoon Mama & I went to town.  Alice & I & H. ate supper at Trowbridges & Alice & I stayed all night as Mr. T. is at San Fernando."

Wed., April 26:  "I helped H. make boxes all day.  In eve. ate supper at Trowbridges.  Alice & I stayed all night.  H. & I made boxes in the eve.  We made altogether 600 boxes today."

Thurs., April 27:  "We came home about 7:AM.   I embroidered in morn.  I took Verda to town in afternoon.  Brot Alice home on way back.  I ate supper at Hazels."

Fri., April 28:  "Dad went to work.  It rained & he came home bout noon.  H. came over.  We went down to K. camp & got some gas.  We made some candy."

Sat., April 29:  "Still raining.  Alice & I made a baby quilt.  Cooper's came over for a little while.  H. came over in eve.  We went to Redlands & saw Delma."

No comments:

Post a Comment