Monday, December 10, 2012

Amanuensis Monday: Will of Archibald Odom

"In the [?] of [?] [?] I Archibald Oadum of Emanuel County and State of Georgia being of sound and disposing mind and memory and being desirous to settle my worldly affairs while I have strength so to do do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking all wills by me heretofore made I give my soul to God who gave it and my body I desire to be buried in the family burying ground and my worldly estate I dispose of as follows
1st I bequeath to my beloved Son M N Oadum the plantation on which I now reside and apperturances thereto belonging together with all the lands belonging to me at my decease also our Bed and its furniture and one cloth Loom one yoke of Oxen and cart one young sorrel mare also one cart shugar mill and two boilers.
2nd I bequeath unto my beloved Elizabeth wife one buggy one sorrel mare in foal and if the colt should be a mule it should belong to M N Oadum according previous arrangements otherwise it will go with the mare one Bed and furniture and all the kichen furniture all of which mentioned in Item (2) is to be sold and divided equally between the following mentioned heirs at her death namely M N Oadum Aron G Oadum R A Oadum Luseria Helbern heirs [?] Octavius I Hilbern and Elizus Hilburn
3rd I bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Barwick and to the heirs of her body all the Stock of cattle now in her possion.
4th I bequeath to the heirs of Elijah S Oadum deceased whose names are as follows Elizabeth Harrel Julian B Hutcherson Catharine Harold Eliza Jane Hutcheson Delila Hutcheson Anderson W Oadum Archibald W Oadum Bennett W Oadum Emery S Oadum Nancy Smith Mary Oadum Elefair Watts Eliza Oadum the sum of five dollars
5th I bequeath the sum of five dollars to the heirs of Winney Barwick whose names are as follows Elizabeth [?] [?] Foskey [?] [?] Jane Barwick Nathan Barwick Ser[?] Barwick Martha Barwick Nathan Barwick William Barwick Luraura Barwick Delpha Barwick
6th I bequeath to my grand daugher Eliza E Hutohrn one Bed and furniture and Bedstead also one trunk with its contents
7th I bequeath all my cattle sheep and my horse bridle and Saddle to M N Oadum A G Oadum R A Oadum Octavus I Hilburn & Elizas Hilbern to be disposed of in the following [?] M N Oadum A G Oadum and R A Oadum may share equally and may divide agreeable to their wishes Octavius I Hilbern & Elizas E Hilbern will share one forth of the property mentioned in this Item which being turned into money should be subject to the controll and management of M N Oadum who[?] I hereby appoint their trustee.
8th I hereby constitute and appoint my beloved son R A Oadum my executor to this my last will and testament
In witness whereof I the said Archibald Oadum to this my will have set my hand and seal this 17th March one thousand eight hundred and seventy three 1873.

Archibald Oadum (SS)

agreed sealed published and disclosed in the [?] above Archibald Oadum as his last will and testament in presence of us who at his request in presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto

David Teson of Emanuel
F M Drake   " Johnson
H C Hall of Johnson

Georgia Emanuel County
  Personally came before me at chambers David Teson H C Hall and being sworn depose to and sayeth that they saw Archibald Oadum sign and publish the within as his last will and testament while of sound and disposing [?] that they witnessed the same for him at his request and in his pressence and of each other and that the same was presented voluntarily by him on the day is perposes to be [?] herein executed.

David Teson
H C Hall

Sworn to and subscribed before me this Sept 8th 1873
John C Coleman
Ordinary

Emanuel Court of Ordinary November Term 1873. severally came into court at this regular time of the court Daniel Tyson F M Drake & H C Hall and being duly sworn deposes and say that they saw Archibald Oadum sign and publish the within as his last will and trestament while of sound and disposing mind that they witnessed the same for him at his request and in the presence of each other and that the same was executed voluntarily by him on the day it purports to have been executed

Sworn to and subscribed                                 
in open court Nov 3rd 1873.
  John C Coleman
    Ord. EC.

David Tyson
L. M. Drake
H.C. Hall"
 





 Archibald Odom was my 4th great grandfather.  This will was a tough one to transcribe. I apologize for all the [?]'s.  Some words would not become clear no matter how many times I came back to them or how long I stared at them.  This will also made it clear that I need to do quite a bit more research on his descendants as many of the names are unfamiliar to me.  Hopefully, after researching, I will be able to update some of the names listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment