Friday, January 4, 2013

Another Diary!!

Well, my genealogy dreams came true this Christmas!  They began to be fulfilled on Christmas Eve when my mother dug out some family pictures I had never seen, along with... her grandmother's diaries!  Yes, that's right.  Plural.  TWO diaries; one from 1899 and one from 1929.  I thought "My Christmas is complete right now."  Little did I know!

Then on Christmas morning, we opened our gifts... and my wonderful and personal Christmas elf, my mother, gave me a six month Ancestry.com WORLD subscription!!  Woo Hoo!  Maybe I will actually be able to "jump the pond" now!  So you all know what I will be doing for the next six months... every spare moment I have.  Rest assured you, dear blog readers, will reap the benefits and hear every find I make.

So I'm going to start sharing my great-grandmother's 1929 diary here and now.  After reading a few entries, I see where her daughter (my grandmother) got her to-the-point and dry humor style of writing from!

 The Players:
The writer is Bessie Carter Ranney, my great-grandmother.
Her husband:
Luther Boardman Ranney, my great-grandfather
 Her children:
Kenneth.
Alice.
Ethel, my grandmother
 
Tuesday, January 1, 1929:  "Stayed with Mrs. McIntosh lat night as she is sick.  Came home at 5:30 & back again about 8.  Girls stayed with the children & Mrs. [?] & I were at her mother's until 1 P.M.  Worked on & finished Alice's green satin dress in the afternoon.  We all went to Wallace Pearson's in the evening.  Mona, Dale & Williard Espy were there.  Had a fun time & got home at 11:30 P.M.
  Kenneth has sworn off on cigarettes & he & I both on coffee unless visiting."

Wednesday, January 2, 1929:  "Ironed for Mrs. Woessner and did my own work in the forenoon.  Went to Mrs. Lingle's [?] a section meeting in the afternoon.  We sewed on quilt blocks.  Went to bed early.  School began for everybody."

Thursday:  January 3, 1929:  "Worked in forenoon.  Stayed with Charles from 1 P.M. to 3 P.M. Then went to the Church and worked on supper our Sec. served for Mission Study Classes.  Alice came for supper & stayed for class then she & I went home at 7:45 P.M.  Went to Woessner's & stayed with Chas. & Harriet until 1 P.M.  Chas. sick & quite a bit of bother."

Friday, January 4, 1929:  "Felt horrid from being up so much nights etc. so didn't do a great deal.  Lucille Pence was here for supper.  Ethel took Alice & I to sing & came for us at 9:30.  Kenneth took medical exam. for civil service exam.   Passed O.K. except blood pressure 14 points too high.  Called U. of R. & they say he is doing better."

Saturday, January 5, 1929:  "Washed & cleaned up house.  About 3 P.M. Mrs. McIntosh brought Jack for us to keep until Tues.  Got along very nicely with him.  Went up town before supper & to bed early."

1 comment: