|State of Iowa with Wright County highlighted|
|From left: Bessie Carter Ranney holding her son, Kenneth Carter Ranney; her husband, Luther Boardman Ranney; and her parents, Charles K. Carter and Sarah Schoonover Carter, circa 1910|
"Eagle Grove Junction was first located here by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad in the mid 1800's. It's location was chosen because of the abundance of natural springs in the area. This was ideal for the railroad to supply water for the steam engines and thus a station was located here.
Eagle Grove received its name many years ago because of an enormous eagle's nest perched high above the Boone River bank in a large grove of oak trees. In 1851 Mr. N. B. Paine came to Wright County, purchased a piece of property and built a log cabin. Directly west of his cabin is where the grove of trees was located sheltering the bird of our national heritage. The nest was over six feet in diameter and had the appearance
of having been located there for some time. It could be seen for miles around. The eagles were at home in the spring and summer of 1855-56, but in the spring of 1857 they were shot and killed by a trapper. Eagle Grove was thus named in honor of the grand old bird of freedom.
Eagle Grove was incorporated as a town in October of 1881."