Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Own Scavenger Hunt

From Randy over at Genea-Musings: 

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: 

 It's Saturday Night again - 
time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):

1) You're going on a scavenger hunt - for records of one of your relatives.  You can pick a relative who lived in the 1800 to 2000 time period.  A brother of one of your ancestors might be best (since males don't change their name).  Or the husband of a sister of your ancestor.  
Tell us the name of your chosen relative. 

2)   Go to FamilySearch and search for records for that relative.  Start on the Search page - https://www.familysearch.org/search.  Search any way you want.  

3)  Tell us what you found in the FamilySearch record collections.  Did you find something new about that relative?   

4)  Write your own blog post, comment on this post, or write something on Facebook or Google Plus.

Here's mine:

1)  I chose Elijah Anderson Odom, date of birth and date of death unknown.  Elijah was the brother of my 2nd great-grandmother, Catherine M. Odom Harrell, thus he was my 2nd great grand uncle.  He was the son of Elijah Samuel Odom and Rutha Goff Odom.  Based on the birthplace of his parents and siblings, I surmised that he was also born in Emanuel County, Georgia.

2)  I first searched by name and a birthplace.  Then as an approximate birth year became apparent, 1843, I added the range of 1843-1845 to the search criteria.

3)  Here are the three results I found: 

* Elijah A Odom, U.S. Census, 1860, 395th District of Emanuel County, Georgia, age 16

* Anderson Odom, U.S. Census, 1880, 395th District of Emanuel County, Georgia, age 37.  Married to Marentha Odom, age 29, with 5 children and a nephew living in the household.

* Anderson Odom listed as the father of Perry A. Odom in "Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939."  

I had expected to find 1850 and 1870 census records; however, I did not.   

I did not know Elijah Anderson's children's names so that will give me some more research avenues to follow.  

4)  Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment