Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Go For A Better Google Search

From Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings:  It's Saturday Night -- time for more Genealogy Fun!! 

Your mission - should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Go to genea-blogger Randy Majors website (

2)  Add his blog to your RSS reader, if you don't have it already.

3) Read his blog post AncestorSearch using Google Custom Search - BETASee the link at the top of the page that says "AncestorSearch using Google Custom Search - BETA?"  Click on it.

4)  Test out his Custom Google Search form to help you find online information about your ancestors, especially for their marriages. 

5)  Tell us about your results - was this useful? Did you find something new?  How can Randy improve it?
                       I searched on three different ancestors (couples) searching for marriage records, along with anything else out there.  I didn't have stellar results, but I did find some sites I had never seen before.  I did not find any actual marriage records, but I did find family websites that included the people I was searching for and listed their marriage dates.  Not concrete proof, but a start. 

 I do like Randy's custom search; it really cuts through all the excess site results and gives me focused results.  It is so much better than having to wade through thousands of results!

  The only improvement I could suggest would be saved search criteria if you use your browser's back button to go back to the search page.  Sometimes, I wish to change one item of search criteria, but I have to re-type everything.  
  Oh, and I agree with Randy about the middle initial wild card, but I would take it one step further.  It would be helpful to have a middle name/initial search box.  Especially here in the south, people used their middle name mostly (and still do!) and would even sign legal/official documents that way. 

6)  If you like Randy's Custom Search, add it to your Bookmarks or Favorites.

(And as far as last week's Saturday Night Fun, Randy:  Those questions were HARD.  I was traveling with my mom, and she didn't know the answers, either!)

No comments:

Post a Comment